dying discus

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
does anyone have experience with pimafix and melafix? they seem to have worked, but it could be the temp, salt, and new stress free environment. i keep hearing that melafix and pimafix are snake oil products that dont really do anything. i am confused about this.
IMO the products don't do all that they claim. Though I have heard that they can help injuries heal quicker. I've used both with sick Discus in the past and I honestly couldn't tell you today if they made any positive difference, but at least I don't believe they had any negative effect.

Reactions: tlindsey

TheBtchWhisperersWife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2013
MoCo, Maryland
Pimafix and melafix are snake oil. A lot of the symptoms you describe could be oodinum. Try proform-c. You'll need a dechlorinator that is thiosulfate based to use with treatments containing malachite green.

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
Final update: out of quarantine, doing great.
final conclusion: pimafix, melafix did nothing.
water changes, temp raise, and salt did the trick. before i put them back in the 450, i removed the gourami. i believe the real issue all along was the gourami not letting them get settled.

Attachments

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I take it that the Discus' final show tank is the tank with the rays, etc. It's good that you endeavor to enjoy the hobby to the fullest, and IMO part of that is having your tank setup just the way you like it. But I will say, having kept Discus myself, it will be substantially more work for you to keep the Discus healthy in that tank shown in your last post.

I wish you good luck and hope you enjoy your tank.

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
I take it that the Discus' final show tank is the tank with the rays, etc. It's good that you endeavor to enjoy the hobby to the fullest, and IMO part of that is having your tank setup just the way you like it. But I will say, having kept Discus myself, it will be substantially more work for you to keep the Discus healthy in that tank shown in your last post.

I wish you good luck and hope you enjoy your tank.
what is the reason you think they require more work?

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
Discus require pristine water conditions, that is new, fresh water, much more so than most other fish. So you would need to keep that large tank maintained to Discus standards, which will be harder than keeping just Discus alone in a smaller tank, for example:

1. 75gal or 90gal
2. Bare-bottom (no substrate) like you already keep your tanks
3. mimimal feedings
4. vacuum all non-eaten food after feedings, as well as fish excrement
5. 50% weekly water changes, at least double that for sub-adult Discus

There is some guidance on MFK is you would like to read: Thread: so you are thinking about trying Discus

I'd also suggest reading the Stickies on the www.simplydiscus.com forums, if you feel like reading more on the topic.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
Discus require pristine water conditions, that is new, fresh water, much more so than most other fish. So you would need to keep that large tank maintained to Discus standards, which will be harder than keeping just Discus alone in a smaller tank, for example:

1. 75gal or 90gal
2. Bare-bottom (no substrate) like you already keep your tanks
3. mimimal feedings
4. vacuum all non-eaten food after feedings, as well as fish excrement
5. 50% weekly water changes, at least double that for sub-adult Discus

There is some guidance on MFK is you would like to read: Thread: so you are thinking about trying Discus

I'd also suggest reading the Stickies on the www.simplydiscus.com forums, if you feel like reading more on the topic.
thank you, i appreciate all advice

i do 50% water changes on thursdays and sundays every week

there are no aggressive fish

the water quality is the best it can possibly be. i test every day. for water changes, i use filtered water that is also tempered at 82 degrees.

i always clean up extra food.

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
It will be a lot of work for a 450gal and I hope it is enough. Just so you know, tank maintenance for Discus, besides water changes, etc., should include wiping all surface areas (everything your tank water touches) clean weekly. I know it sounds crazy, right? Only time will tell, after 3-5 more months if things are still ok with the Discus.

I kept two different groups of Discus over the ~18 months I kept them. I've kept fish since I was 10yrs old so even after reading about 'proper' Discus care I didn't really accept it. Not until I learned for myself that anything less and Discus eventually start dying. IME once Discus start dying, and especially once medication is introduced, it's a downward spiral where few fish survive. I digress. I would say just enjoy the tank the way it is, keeping in mind that the Discus in there require a big step up in overall regular maintenance for the tank. If something goes wrong then try your best to make necessary adjustments. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store