Easiest cichlid to breed?

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
I would like to start breeding cichlids and originally I was going to go for Jewels but just wanted to know-
What is the easiest cichlid to breed (in your opinion)
and also no fish that need more than 45 gallons

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I say it's Convicts as well. Get one with an orange belly, one without add water= many convict fry within days. Took my first pair a grand total of three days to settle in and start breeding.

Reactions: Justepic

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Most of the convict type fish, like nanoluteus, panamensis, sajica, etc. are quite easy to breed. And of course common convicts. These fish just need good water quality, the presence of the opposite sex, and somewhat stable conditions, and they will readily breed.

Of these, the easiest to get to breed may be the common convicts. However, I would say for somebody looking to start breeding cichlids with no prior experience, the nanoluteus may be a better choice, because the male is less likely to kill the female. I have bred these fish for many years, and have lost many females, even when I thought I was being smart and had a divider or flowerpot with a female-only sized hole.
So, Nanoluteus would be my vote.

Here is one of my panamensis spawns (before the male killed the female, in a 90g tank)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
A few tips to help you get started.
Most cichlids breed easily given the right amount of space, and the right water parameters. I have benn lucky enough to have had over 100 species, from African, to New World from substrate spawners to mouthbrooders spawn in my tanks.
The first cichlids to spawn for me in the late 1950s were the (what was then called) Egyptian mouth brooders Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor. They are small, perfect for tanks i had and could afford as a kid, and are able to protect their young in a community setting for a little while.
Tank size is very important, because if the tank is too small, females are often killed by overactive males, eggs and fry eaten.
Most of my spawning tanks are in the 6 ft range now, and I often divide them with egg crate, with hole the females can use to escape rutting males.

If you want to breed cichlids, and actually keep fry.
You will need a multiple array of tanks, to raise different size fry. Large fry often eat smaller brothers and sisters, or prevent others from getting food.
It is best to keep a pair alone in its own tank, community tanks usually reduce fry numbers to almost zero. Tetras and barbs (and other cichlids) or gobies are consummate fry eaters. And if parents detect threats, they often eat their own fry or eggs to prevent others from doing so.
I raise live food like artemia and daphnia for 1st foods in anything that hold water, although there are now commercial 1st foods available.

I also allow algae to grow and spread over everything in breeder tanks as food for fry to graze on, beside feedings 4 or more times per day.

The fry need constant food or many perish.
[/URL[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/dstuer/media/Lepido/Lepido%20spawn/033_zps77da6a2a.jpg.html]
I often mix pellets with live artemis and shoot it into schools of fry to help fry associate the artificial foods.

sometimes larger bodies of water than tanks are needed to be successful with very territorial species, I have used old bath tubs, and kiddy pools.
[/URL]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store