Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Very Long Post!

Ok, good morning everyone. I saw few posts on this but they didn't seem to pertain fully to my situation. I've had my EBJD since February when he was about an inch (now 3 inches). He has always had the most personality, ran the tank, and my favorite fish hands down. Yesterday, I noticed his under belly and back end seemed almost pale, not his usual striking appearance. (Sorry, i had just fed flakes which is why there are specs in the pics). I only noticed this after he calmed down a little because when i came into the room he started darting around and hitting everything in the back of the tank. Now, again, I know it may be normal for one EBJD to do this but he has always been the first to greet me at the tank and actually acted like he knew me (or the food lol). He did still eat yesterday. This morning, he was a little more calm and didn't run away immediately. He ate a few flakes and his Omega One Super Veggie Seaweed that he loves.

A little background info:
He lives in a 125g with only 2-EB Acaras around the same size and 2 Sajicas that are only 2 inches. The Acaras stick to the right side of the tank, the sajicas to the left and the EBJD owns the middle with no issue. I have an Emperor Pleco and 2 Rio negro places that are rather small and will not grow over 4-6 inches, and 4 cory cats. The only time the fish have ever shown signs of stress were a few weeks ago when i tried to introduce a new Firemouth Cichlid to the bunch. I threw off there normalcy and he tried to run them around the tank. Needless to say, he was returned almost immediately. I've all these fish since they were babies so they will always be end game.

Now, I have recently done a water change with no issues (I keep all levels as they should be and the water soft at the correct pH), I put VitaChem in their tank every 2 weeks just to help with fin regeneration because the sajicas fight amongst themselves and there is lava rock in the tank and they may scrape themselves. They only eat Bloodworms, Live Red Wriggler Worms (have own farm), and some flakes and algae pellets. The EBJD is the only one that likes the seaweed.
I guess I'm worried because I know about their genetics and I thought maybe I was in the clear since he made it to 3 inches, but this is the only fish I am completely attached too. (and my plecos).

As I am typing this, I just saw the 2 acaras try to lock with him and of course he won but he still ran off in clear distress. I am only recently, in the past 2 weeks, able to realize and sex the acaras, that I have a mated pair. I am willing to take drastic measures.

Would it help to remove all other fish and keep him alone? or at least the mated pair? I do know that both sajicas are males (i would like to keep them because I searched and searched for some and always wanted them). I never wanted a female fish of the same kind. It sucks because I wanted to introduce a baby Titanium Flowerhorn to the mix but then started getting doubts from aggression stand points. Any time I want to add more fish, I worry about him in particular being stressed.

Thank you for your time. I can't talk to anyone about fish LOL, they think I'm silly for even taking it so seriously but I do.

IMG_0770.jpg IMG_0773.jpg IMG_0774.jpg IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0593.JPG

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Sorry to hear about your JD, I think he’s behaving pretty normal, I raised three EBJDs and they were more out in the open when younger, once mine hit the 3-4 inch mark he became more reclusive.

Mine does the same thing yours does, if I want towards to tank too quickly he will dart hitting everything and anything to hide from me, only comes out when he feels safe or for food.

He is def not aggressive, mine resides with a pair of HRPs and hey have babies, he doesn’t hunt the babies, he has trouble keeping the HRPs at bay, I see the HRPs glaring at him and he opens his mouth to keep them back but then he runs and hides. He’s not very active. He has a female he’s also not interested in.

Yours seem very normal to me.

I would advise not getting a fh as it will def rule the jd.

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Don't screw that tank up by putting a FH in there!! :eek::eek:

Let the Dempsey rule that tank, maybe he will come around after he puts some size on.

In my experience, fish act much more natural in communities (some fish). There needs to be a pecking order that works though. Hes still pretty small and the Acaras can gang up on him. Give it time and it'll workout. Everytime i have put a fish in solitary they get real sketchy and scared, so I think that would only make your JD more skiddish.

Last edited:

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
Hiding seems like a character trait of most Dempsey’s. And as mentioned by others, when my guy is out and I approach the tank he takes off like he has been shot out of a cannon....smashing into anything in his path. They are beautiful fish just not always the best personality.

Reactions: Niki_up

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Thanks guys. He does rule the tank. No one messes with him. The acaras just got a little territorial because right after I posted, the female laid eggs :-/. No, I thought twice about the flowerhorn. All five of my fish are just in good harmony. His discoloration darkens back up when he goes in alpha mode so maybe it just has to happen. He is growing. I just feel like my tank is missing something, but I’ll let it come to me I guess. Yea, he’s still darting and I read that that’s how their personality could be but I was just so used to him being the most socialized. I didn’t think it could change I guess. The more you know! Since the EBAs aren’t as worried about with eating since they’re guarding, I’m feeding less because everyone isn’t as ravenous. It’s like they come up for me to feed them but it’s not as vital.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store