EBJD growth and true max size

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
It is possible you have a female, it’s hard to tell with your pictures and plus EBJDs are difficult to sex as it is.

Females stay at the 6-7 inch range.
Probably happened, my fiancé helped me hold it while I tried to vent it and she was freaking out the whole time about the fish being “slimy” (she’s not the biggest fan of fish lol) so it’s probable I misgendered the fish.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Probably happened, my fiancé helped me hold it while I tried to vent it and she was freaking out the whole time about the fish being “slimy” (she’s not the biggest fan of fish lol) so it’s probable I misgendered the fish.
Awe poor fish!! Sorry to hear that your fiancé thinks fish slim is gross haha

I’m thinking you may have a female myself, or just a slow grower. They take time to reach the 12 inch mark and will slow down at the one or two year mark. Can you post some more pictures with better angles?

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I think it's a female based on the anal and caudal fin being a bit more rounded, I am not an expert on sexing EBJD's though so I may be wrong, feel free to correct me if I am wrong
You would be correct the rounded fins indicate female but even my male ebjd has kind of rounded fins, something else to consider for EBJDs is the length of the fins, longer being male shorter being female

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
You would be correct the rounded fins indicate female but even my male ebjd has kind of rounded fins, something else to consider for EBJDs is the length of the fins, longer being male shorter being female
yeah, I don't have much experience with them aside from having them in a pet store I worked at. Does the gill plate also indicate gender? I know with some fish it does (if the gill plate extends past the gills then it's a male in some fish), idk if it applies to EBJD though

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
yeah, I don't have much experience with them aside from having them in a pet store I worked at. Does the gill plate also indicate gender? I know with some fish it does (if the gill plate extends past the gills then it's a male in some fish), idk if it applies to EBJD though
I’ve mever heard that “rule” for sexing before for any fish so I cannot conform if it is or isn’t true for the ebjd...and I’ve only owned 5 in my whole fish keeping years, two died before I could sex many years ago and recently I ended up with 3 males and only kept one so I’ve never knowingly kept a female to compare

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I’ve mever heard that “rule” for sexing before for any fish so I cannot conform if it is or isn’t true for the ebjd...and I’ve only owned 5 in my whole fish keeping years, two died before I could sex many years ago and recently I ended up with 3 males and only kept one so I’ve never knowingly kept a female to compare
It's mostly for bettas, but I hear it applies to some other fish too, not 100% sure about it though so please correct me if I'm wrong

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Awe poor fish!! Sorry to hear that your fiancé thinks fish slim is gross haha

I’m thinking you may have a female myself, or just a slow grower. They take time to reach the 12 inch mark and will slow down at the one or two year mark. Can you post some more pictures with better angles?
Just got back from a vacation to visit grandma, and my 4 year old has decided terrifying my fish is his new favorite past time. So after I put him down for the evening, maybe the fish will actually come out from behind the roots -_-

Reactions: Niki_up

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
if anyone in florida is selling ebjd let me know im in the market for one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store