Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
The fish and tank are looking great! The cheapest black background I have found is just construction paper from the dollar store - it's $1 for a 24" x 28" piece. What I do is tuck it under the top trim of the aquarium and tape in place (the tape is not visible from the front of the tank since it's on the backside of the paper and the trim - you're effectively taping the paper to the trim, but the paper is tucked under the trim so no light gets through).

Then I use a box cutter to slice the paper at the top of the trim on the bottom. I don't tuck it in because I keep my substrate at a depth higher than the trim so any gaps are not visible. voila! That's it.

It takes about 2 minutes, and costs next to nothing, you can do it with water in the tank (if you can reach behind the tank).

I'm not going to say it looks as nice as a painted black background, but it looks good and costs a lot less and takes a fraction of the time.
Thanks, DarylMac! And I've considered the construction paper route as well but wasn't sure how it would look if it were to get wet... so I actually took a different route (believe it or not, cheaper too!)

I had a box of black trash bags, I just taped one to the top of the back of the tank and let it drape down the back... since it was slightly wrinkled it carried the slight illusion of depth from certain angles :) now I just paint it black lol I have a quarter gallon at home and plenty of paint supplies from when I painted in my summers between years at school :D

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Dude lovely fish. Love the time you spent reputting everything back into the tank
I called aquascapeonline today from my mobile I know big bill. But the good news is yes they ship to UK
And yes they can send only white fish out

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Dude lovely fish. Love the time you spent reputting everything back into the tank
I called aquascapeonline today from my mobile I know big bill. But the good news is yes they ship to UK
And yes they can send only white fish out
Thank you! and that's awesome, I'm glad you were finally able to get a hold of them. Are you going to purchase any from them?

Reactions: terrorG

Imsobored152

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Palm Bay, Fl
That's what I was hoping for... since I brought it up I've been researching the best aquatic plants for "beginners" and many different sources said that Java fern/moss is rather easy to take care of, as well as some anubias'

I may be making a trip to the store sooner than expected :D
If you have a petsmart nearby, they sell plants in tubes. Every review ive read on them has been positive, except the people that dont read and fully submerge a plant that cant survive that way

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Thank you! and that's awesome, I'm glad you were finally able to get a hold of them. Are you going to purchase any from them?
got to wait for next shipment as they only got 1 left :( cant put 1 female in with 1 male not good idea i rather put a whole bunch in say 5 move out the males and keep the only white females.

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
If you have a petsmart nearby, they sell plants in tubes. Every review ive read on them has been positive, except the people that dont read and fully submerge a plant that cant survive that way
Awesome, I didn't know that. I'll have to take a look and compare prices - I've never purchased a plant that was bagged and on a shelf before.
But I'd be looking for plants that can be fully submerged, hopefully they have something I'm in need of...

got to wait for next shipment as they only got 1 left :( cant put 1 female in with 1 male not good idea i rather put a whole bunch in say 5 move out the males and keep the only white females.
that's awesome, I'm glad you were able to get a hold of them and work out a possible order! fingers crossed :)

Reactions: terrorG

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
dude let me know the plants you go for i realised green terrors pluck one plant at a time and totally destroy it

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
no plants yet, but I decided to move my 48" Beamswork lights from my 125g Midas tank to the Riv tank... colors are really popping now. It's amazing how big a difference a real light makes in comparison to two small clamp on reading light :rolleyes:

IMG_4752.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4761.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_4768.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4781.JPG