Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Those little guys are awesome.

I switched from one tube to dual tubes In a DIY lighting unit I built with gutters and aluminum roof insulation foil. The difference is huge and my plants are doing much better

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Those little guys are awesome.

I switched from one tube to dual tubes In a DIY lighting unit I built with gutters and aluminum roof insulation foil. The difference is huge and my plants are doing much better
Thank you! And that's awesome, I love DIY projects for the tanks. I did something almost identical to your setup when I got my first 6' tank. I went out and bought a piece of gutter cover, lined the inside with HVAC foil tape, and then glued an adhesive silicone light strip to the inside. Wasn't strong enough to grow plants, but it was bright enough for the fish and the tank and had hundreds of different light/color options. It wasn't bad at all for a $20 build lol

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thank you! And that's awesome, I love DIY projects for the tanks. I did something almost identical to your setup when I got my first 6' tank. I went out and bought a piece of gutter cover, lined the inside with HVAC foil tape, and then glued an adhesive silicone light strip to the inside. Wasn't strong enough to grow plants, but it was bright enough for the fish and the tank and had hundreds of different light/color options. It wasn't bad at all for a $20 build lol
I threw in 2 Boyu aquarium tubes. work very well and have a nice colour to them.

In just 2 weeks since I put it in and the swords are super vibrant.

Also, excuse my ignorance on just skimming the thread but what size tank are these guys in? and how big do they tend to get?

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Also, excuse my ignorance on just skimming the thread but what size tank are these guys in? and how big do they tend to get?
These guys are currently in a 55g tank, but I plan on moving them up to a 75g soon, and end goal would be something like a 150g or 180g depending on whether I can keep a harem or just a pair (which I plan on purchasing when I move out of my apt in May as I don't think they'll outgrow the 75g by then). Adult males average somewhere around the 10" mark, but can surpass 12" in overall length in optimal conditions

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
Looking good Athletic_Amph Athletic_Amph Your white trimmed riv is starting to stand out. His tail is filling in nicely.

I run beamworks on my tanks too. Nice lights for the price.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Good plan. I would like GT's some day, my one teacher has a large GT in his 180. At that size I think my salvini would be the only cichlid in my tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store