aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
Warm water if you want to breed...keep it at 82 with cooler water changes or your normal temp with warmer water changes. My first spawn with white saum didn't go so well. Female was doing well with her wigglers or so I thought, and I left her with then, but she started picking them off. I only managed to save about 4 out of her already small batch. I literally have 4 fry in a 40b right now lol. It's hilarious. Takes me about 5 minutes to spot them all.

Oh well, try again next month.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
aztsm aztsm my tank is currently heating back up...
not sure why, but the heater I originally had in the tank has apparently been slowly failing over the last 2-3 weeks or so. The fish had been acting extremely lethargic, and during a water change last weekend I noticed the temperature of the water in the tank was just about 70*. So I unplugged my current heater (which is the one just dangling in the back left corner lol) and plugged in a 300w heater I had leftover from my 125g. The temp is slowly working its way back up to 70*-80*. I haven't been trying to induce a spawn yet, as I'd like the (hopeful) females to grow just a bit more. But they have been much more active since replacing the heater, so in due time

Are any of your (4) fry white seamed? or are they still wayyy too small to tell? looking for fry that small in such a wide tank becomes a game lol "how long will it take me this time"... that's how I felt all the time when I was looking for the pleco I used to have

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
Good catch, that's a bit low. lol, yeah, I'm hoping there's more than 4 actually but that's all I've been able to tell so far. having gravel in the tank makes it much harder. That'll be gone next time.

I'm guessing male... white trimmed. lol, no it's going to be a long while before i'll know. My female is still young, and about 4-4 1/2". I should have pulled her or the fry from tank when they first hatched, but I thought she was doing fairly well with them. I knew better but oh well.

20170307_093214.jpg

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
lol I know the feeling! when I first bred EBJD I spent hours trying to get a decent pic of a blue gene fry next to an EB fry so I could show others the difference at such a small size...
but your pic is just perfect haha like a little alien hovering over the gravel

image2.JPG

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Warm water if you want to breed...keep it at 82 with cooler water changes or your normal temp with warmer water changes. My first spawn with white saum didn't go so well. Female was doing well with her wigglers or so I thought, and I left her with then, but she started picking them off. I only managed to save about 4 out of her already small batch. I literally have 4 fry in a 40b right now lol. It's hilarious. Takes me about 5 minutes to spot them all.

Oh well, try again next month.
I'm finishing an ICH treatment and will start lowering temps from 84 ~ 86 F this Friday to my regular 76 ~ 78 F and do 3 to 4 50%+ water changes over the weekend to get the salinity back to normal as well... I'll update my thread if any spawning starts...

Reactions: Athletic_Amph
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store