aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
I had mine at 82 for about 8 days before they spawned. Prior to the temp bump there was probably 1-2 months of spawning behavior with no spawn. This was at about 78 degrees with around 74 degree water changes. Also provided a nice spot with good coverage where the female felt safe

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Quite a difference, which one is which?
the fry on the left is an EBJD and right is either a Blue Gene or regular Jack. I was able to keep a couple EBJDs to grow out, but gave them to a buddy a few months ago. They are about 4"-5" right now and looking.

Also provided a nice spot with good coverage where the female felt safe
I probably won't raise the temp past 80* right now, they are all very active again and begging for food. I do have some fake plants I want to add to the branches and rockwork to help break the line of sight from one end of the tank to the next... all I have are the branches and they really don't do much at all lol

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
had a little mishap during a water change the other day and was forced to quickly move everyone to my 40 breeder while I straightened out their 55g... they all stayed in the 40g overnight, but my largest female was suicidal the entire time lol she woke me up around 1am splashing and flopping her way out of the tank and on to the carpet. Thankfully the gf heard it and woke me up lol
of course, the next day when I get home from work I'm testing the 55g to make sure everything is in check and i begin moving everyone back... low and behold i can't find this female anywhere!!
after searching high and low, all around my room - aka much further than she could have possiblyyyy jumped to - i hear some splashing again...

she put herself in solitary confinement and jumped in to the overflow!!!! o_O:oops:
all in all, the male and 3 smaller fish are back in the 55g lol but boy was it a b!tch to get her out of there without removing the sponge lol

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5069.JPG

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
also, i noticed my dominant white saum male lip locking with the other white saum that has been alone in the 40 gallon... at first it looked like they were beginning to dance and wiggle around together, but then they went at it very viciously so i had to separate them... i guess i have two wild white saum males!!
this is the subdominant one:

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
finally got some green in the 55g... not entirely happy with the placement, but I was impatient and needed more sight breaks from end to end... I think i'll be removing two of the smaller rivs and just leaving the male and the female he's been dancing with in there and see what happens

IMG_5090.JPG

IMG_5088.PNG

IMG_5091.JPG

Reactions: jhook

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Are the 1st & 2nd photos of the 40 breeder? That scape looks really good IMO.

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Are the 1st & 2nd photos of the 40 breeder? That scape looks really good IMO.
Yup! just one photo was saved from snapchat and the other from the actual camera hahaha thank you! It's currently got my 2nd male white saum... and is *hopefully* going to be for a group of R. Spinosissima if all goes as planned. if not, I may dedicate it to a breeding pair of Aequidens or Amatitlanias

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I like that 55g scape better without the plants!

Not saying I don't like the plants, but there are some scapes that look better with only wood & rocks, and your 55 is one of them IMO.

It looks really clean and natural sans plants, and a little more staged with them.

Having said that I think the sight breaks are more important than aesthetics as far as the fish are concerned.

If I were you I'd wait to pull the other females until the male & a female pair off and aggression becomes and issue (if it becomes an issue).

I've recently pulled two GT's from my tank to medicate them and I've noticed that with fewer targets the remaining two females get chased considerably more by my male.

I am actually anxious to get the other female back in this tank but she unfortunately got beat up a bit by the subdominant male she is in QT with...

So in short what I am getting at is if you pull the other females prior to a spawn the male may actually get rougher on his prospective mate - especially if she isn't receptive.

I don't think GT's are renowned for abusing their mates like some fish are, but I am noticing my male is very persistent!

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I just reviewed this entire thread. Funny how a few months and an inch or so if growth changes these fish? Looking at the more recent photos it looks as if you have your male & 3 females in the 55g. Back at the beginning you weren't sure you had ANY males - and now you've got a spare in your 40 beeeder!

How awesome is that?

You've also had a couple of cool scapes in that 55!

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
DarylMac DarylMac no worries my man! I enjoy the criticism/feedback from fellow MFK'ers... afterall, that's why we post here right? lol people get too offended when someone has different taste

But I appreciate the feedback! I'm not a fan of the way the plants are set ATM, but I was just going for sight breaks and not so much a scape just yet. I'll worry more about the actual scape of the tank once I have a bonded pair. And what you've stated was my exact worry about removing the other two females... I've left all 3 in there for now and I'm just letting them do their thing, hope yours recovers quickly

Back at the beginning you weren't sure you had ANY males - and now you've got a spare in your 40 beeeder!
How awesome is that?
You've also had a couple of cool scapes in that 55!
you couldn't be more right dude, I think about that every time I'm doing a water change hahaha I remember cursing Aquascape up and down, day after day about not receiving a single male hahah and now the two whites I was given as accommodations are looking to be top notch males - I just need to find my 2nd male an appropriate home lol

and thank you! I'm a huge fan of the twigs and branches opposed to massive roots (although I'm contradicting myself with the scape in my 40 breeder, huh? :rolleyes:) hahaha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store