Eddie's not well need help.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sorry, I meant force feeding the epsom salt soaked food. If that's all I had on hand, I would go with that twice a day until meds were sourced. I have just seen so many FH go sideways really fast once they go off of their feed. Typically no time to waste when this starts. Adding garlic won't hurt, and there is some evidence that it can help, or at least work synergistically with meds, and even epsom salt. If nothing else it may add to the palatability of the food, for your FH. This is why NLS Hex-Shield contained a mega dose of garlic, along with magnesium sulfate, and metronidazole. Too bad the consumer demand wasn't there, as it doesn't appear to be made any longer.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
Sorry, I meant force feeding the epsom salt soaked food. If that's all I had on hand, I would go with that twice a day until meds were sourced. I have just seen so many FH go sideways really fast once they go off of their feed. Typically no time to waste when this starts. Adding garlic won't hurt, and there is some evidence that it can help, or at least work synergistically with meds, and even epsom salt. If nothing else it may add to the palatability of the food, for your FH. This is why NLS Hex-Shield contained a mega dose of garlic, along with magnesium sulfate, and metronidazole. Too bad the consumer demand wasn't there, as it doesn't appear to be made any longer.
Ah right I see I never realised that alone could of helped I'll know for the future though I guess,. Yeah it's a real shame I did try to get some as I had heard good things about it and would of made this a lot simpler ?.

Right so Eddie has had his first treatment with octozin.

I crushed 1 tab and made a slightly runny paste with Epsom solution and some garlic juice and force fed it all, although Eddie wasn't happy it dosnt seem to have fazed him much, was this the right way to do it, also I'm not sure how often to do it if I was using the meds as instructed I wouldn't treat every day but doing it this way should I do it every day as I would of with the metro, also would it be any benefit to Eddie to add few crushed pellets to the mix or would that do more harm then good at this point. Sorry to keep pestering just want to get this as close to right as I can.

Thanks again Ben.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I do have enough tabs to do treatment twice a day but don't know if that would be to much.
At most I would only force feed once a day with medication. Based on what octozin treats, I would guess its main ingredient is a type of metro.

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
At most I would only force feed once a day with medication. Based on what octozin treats, I would guess its main ingredient is a type of metro.
Thank you for that do you think one tab at a time would be enough or should I do 2, this is all new to me kept fish for 20 years and never had to do anything like this befor.

Randles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2021
UK
Thank you for that do you think one tab at a time would be enough or should I do 2, this is all new to me kept fish for 20 years and never had to do anything like this befor.
If you are using Waterlife Octozin 1 tablet will treat 22.5 litres of water. Now because you are administering this orally I'd say 1 tablet was more than enough as Eddie's gut is nowhere near 22.5 litres. I am going by logic though, because like you I have never had to dose my fish orally for anything.

I do wish you the best of luck, Eddie looks a lovely boy!

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Without knowing how much metro is in it, I cannot say for sure. (feeding metro is based by weight of the fish. I think RD. RD. has a link to Noga's recommendation for this). Do what has worked so far (1 tab correct?)

How big is 1 tab?

I know that CZ clear says not to feed the fish during the 2 pill treatment (at most 10 days of treatment). Since Eddie hasn't eaten in 3 weeks, I think he would be fine without being force fed food for about 1 week during treatment. I've had a 12" fish not eat 2 months before force fed medicine treatment, and it was fine during that period.

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
If you are using Waterlife Octozin 1 tablet will treat 22.5 litres of water. Now because you are administering this orally I'd say 1 tablet was more than enough as Eddie's gut is nowhere near 22.5 litres. I am going by logic though, because like you I have never had to dose my fish orally for anything.

I do wish you the best of luck, Eddie looks a lovely boy!
Yeah that was what I was thinking just wanted to be sure. Thank you very much I have my fingers crossed real tight but he's been looking a bit rough these last 48 hours. his hump has started to shrink which is sad as its always been huge.

• Sad
Reactions: Randles

Randles

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2021
UK
Without knowing how much metro is in it, I cannot say for sure. (feeding metro is based by weight of the fish. I think RD. RD. has a link to Noga's recommendation for this). Do what has worked so far (1 tab correct?)

How big is 1 tab?

I know that CZ clear says not to feed the fish during the 2 pill treatment (at most 10 days of treatment). Since Eddie hasn't eaten in 3 weeks, I think he would be fine without being force fed food for about 1 week during treatment. I've had a 12" fish not eat 2 months before force fed medicine treatment, and it was fine during that period.
I think 1 tab is 0.085g of dimetridazole from having a look online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store