Eheim 2180 : Different length between intakes' hoses

Snarkaustic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Portugal
I'm in the process of setting up a 5ft tank (150x50x70cm). The trim has 2 slots on the back (one at each side near the corners) that allow 2 filter pipes to go through.

Ideally, I'd install one canister filter at each side, but I'm don't have 2 filters so I have to work with what I have, which is a single Eheim Pro 3 2180. The filter has 2 intakes and 1 output, which makes a total of 3 pipes, so I can't run them all through only one of the slots.

My idea is to install the output and one of the intakes at one side and the other intake at the opposite side. This would work best with the filter placed at the center, but the stand has a cabinet at each side and a shelf at the center, so the filter has to be at one of the sides. This means there will be a considerable length difference between the output hoses, so my question is, will this have any (negative) impact on the filter performance?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
It'll be okay.
You'll have slightly more flow through the intake with the shorter house, though. No harm done.

Snarkaustic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Portugal
Thanks, that's good to know.

At some point I considered using a T connection to merge the 2 intakes into a single pipe, but I think that could actually cause some problems with the filter head. Different flows is something I can work with, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store