Electric Blue Acaras breeding questions

Sodakksam

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2020
I have had 2 EBA’s about 2 1/2 -3 inches for a few months. I bumped into another one at a local fish store the other day. I brought him home. I was pretty sure he was a male— brightly colored with long, tapered fins. Now that he’s been in the tank one of the others has her tube showing. I thought this one one was a male. They are showing off for each other, cleaning a rock, and annoying the 3rd member of the trio. Seems like a good deal unless you are the odd man out. This looks like they are in the mood. my light is on a timer. Should I alter that at all ? Raise the temp? Let nature take it’s course? Thanks for any info.

Reactions: B.P.M and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have had 2 EBA’s about 2 1/2 -3 inches for a few months. I bumped into another one at a local fish store the other day. I brought him home. I was pretty sure he was a male— brightly colored with long, tapered fins. Now that he’s been in the tank one of the others has her tube showing. I thought this one one was a male. They are showing off for each other, cleaning a rock, and annoying the 3rd member of the trio. Seems like a good deal unless you are the odd man out. This looks like they are in the mood. my light is on a timer. Should I alter that at all ? Raise the temp? Let nature take it’s course? Thanks for any info.
Yes sounds like spawning behavior.? I personally would like you stated let nature take it's course. It will get rough for the 3rd EBA so you may have to remove or seperate with a divider.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Sodakksam

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2020
Lots of showing off for each other. The female’s tube is still out. The male has a the smaller tube out. They were Teaming up on the older, much bigger EBA that has been moved out. Any guess how long it will take for eggs to be laid? Could they change their minds and not lay eggs? Thanks for answering my questions.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Lots of showing off for each other. The female’s tube is still out. The male has a the smaller tube out. They were Teaming up on the older, much bigger EBA that has been moved out. Any guess how long it will take for eggs to be laid? Could they change their minds and not lay eggs? Thanks for answering my questions.
Tbh can't give you a concrete answer. Don't change anything and give time.

Sodakksam

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2020
Thanks. My mother says men don’t have patience. I’ll try to prove her wrong.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Doesn’t always happen the first time. In about a month or so they will probably start showing this behavior again.

B.P.M

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
UK-STEVENAGE
i have just had an EBA (female) and an blue acara (big male) breed just yesterday, they where a pair for months now with no breeding
raised the temp to 28 from about 26, the water was good anyway, but the temp seemed to do the trick, the light does not seem to matter

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store