Electric Yellow Labs - holding?

chico3611

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
North NJ
awsome pics, its great that you got to snap a shot at a wiggler!

eugeneT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2006
Tennesse
I have 2 yellows in my tank and I made a cave for them from 2 flat pieces of slate (roof and base) and lava rock (walls) like the type used in grills. The base of it is so wide that it almost goes completely front to back on one side of my 29. When I bought them I was hoping for a male and female and thought the black stripe on their dorsal was the indicator, one had a very dark stripe and the others was almost not even visible. However after they had grown some the others stripe got alot darker. After adding the cave to the tank, I was missing one of them one night and started looking around to see where it was. It had dug a little pit out of the sand underneath the back of the cave and was hiding in there. So I was thinking yay babies!! But then a few days later was back to normal and swimming around out in the tank. Is there anyway to tell for sure if I have a male and female without waiting for her? to spit out babies eventually? Also now it seems as if her throat is getting bigger and she doesnt eat, even frozen food that they usually go crazy over. Hope she is gonna have me some lil yeller wigglers :D :headbang2 :D :headbang2

mitch4ya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
Auburn, Nebraska
She definetly looks like she is holding. What I usually do if I want any survivors is catch her and put her in a breeding enclosure net that you just attach to the side of the tank, or put her in her own tank, or cut off one end of a qtip and pry her mouth open and remove fry. Each of these methods have worked for me, a little too well since in the last 2 months I've had about 75 fry to contend with until thankfully one of the local fish stores wanted them.

amesbien

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
The Moon
im going through this myself right now. My girl is in a 10 by herself (she was getting beaten up). This is her first to my knowledge and its been about 2 and half weeks so i decided to strip her of the fry, only one came out and the egg sac was so big the poor thing couldnt swim so i put him in a net and let him be do think he will survive he looks just like the wiggler with the massive egg sac in the pics from before.

waveman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2006
philippines
help me my yellow looks like the same...she carrying eges too,should i seperate her in a own tank and get him back to the original tank when she spits it out? so she wont eat her fry? pls help me

Troyness31

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2007
Elkhart, IN
waveman;766895; said:
help me my yellow looks like the same...she carrying eges too,should i seperate her in a own tank and get him back to the original tank when she spits it out? so she wont eat her fry? pls help me
As long as she is in a tank of her own she will be fine. Labs are not known for eating their own fry

waveman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2006
philippines
my lab is always holding eggs in hers mouth because is so big but after 3 to 5 days its all gone...and her mouth are back to normal size...is she eating the eggs or fries...its her 2nd time???

sunny_d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2007
Alberta
waveman;811292; said:
my lab is always holding eggs in hers mouth because is so big but after 3 to 5 days its all gone...and her mouth are back to normal size...is she eating the eggs or fries...its her 2nd time???
This is what I find usually happens to me....one of my females has been holding 3 times now....and still no fry...so I dont really know what is going on there...I can tell by the way they look when they are ready to breed....2 of my females are looking that way now....no eggs yet as far as I know...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store