Establishing New Tank 110g - Need Recommendations on Setup

Ender720

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2006
CA -LA
Hello,

Need some advice with setting up a new 110g acrylic uniaquarium tank (overflow built into the back of the tank). I have a 55g that I have been running on a cannister filter for years and just acquired this locally.

Would love to get advice and recommendations on the following:
  • Quietest (reasonably priced) air pump? Recommend size?
  • Quietest (reasonably priced) water pump? Recommended flow?
  • Filtration setup? There are about 6 chambers. The first for overflow from the tank, second (maybe for another sponge?), third (maybe carbon?), fourth (a long one for what I believe to be for bio balls or bio media), and fifth (possibly another sponge). The last chamber for the water pump. Thoughts on an ideal setup?

Thanks!

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Post some pics on the sump and the tank. What you plan on stocking it with?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thats one of those all in one things...right?
Sounds like the correct set up to me. As for air pumps all make some noise im using 2 I got from a local hydroponics store, fairly quiet 2 outlets, uses 15w. I'll get a name and post it. As for your return pump id contact the manufacturer or Google it you could easily have some unforseen issue with that setup with to much flow.

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

Ender720

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2006
CA -LA
twentyleagues twentyleagues Yes, all in one in the back of the tank. Appreciate your help, did you get a chance to look up the name?

Tobiassorensen Tobiassorensen This will be a freshwater setup that will be stocked with cichlids, roseline sharks, and plecos (L14, L24, L95, L160). Plecos are my primary focus.

Example pics (from PetSmart). Mine is similar but with a black background.

I plan on using a wave pump on top of the return pump. MFK, any recommendations on the return pump for optimal flow?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I would go wit sponge and floss in first. Next id put heater. Then bioballs or ceramic biomedia. Looks like an wet/dry configurement. The last the returnpump. Id go with an jebao dcs2000 or 3000 depending on what the overflow can handle. As for an streamer i would go with fluval sea series or jebaos wavemakers.

Reactions: Ender720

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
E Ender720 . This is the air pump I am referring to. I dont have the box anymore but here's the website.
Mine
20190701_222710_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Backfromthedead

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
When I ran a sump on my last setup, I had the drain going into some filter floss sheet type stuff, with the bio media under that. That way you have a wet/dry setup with a lot of oxygen exchange. Six chambers seems weird. Mine only had three. The first for mechanical/bio, the second was a narrow chamber with a sponge where the water flowed up and over into the final chamber, which contained the heaters and pumps.

I'd also recommend two pumps and two returns. I used Aqueon pumps. They were quiet. Two AQ1700 or 2300 should be fine. I used dual 2300 on a 125 with a 45 gallon sump. You don't need or want massive flow pressure if you have a sump with a large media volume. Canisters are a different animal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store