Every good story comes to an end... the death of my monster GATF

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Today I write to my fellow MFKers with deep sorrow. I am absolutely devastated.. didn't realize I had truly become quite attached to this beast..

Last night, I struggled for 3 hours trying to save this monster.. I realized something was wrong as the power to my tanks were off so I go check the fuse box to push back up the electricity. Next thing I hear is loud popping sounds from the tank and when i look closely, it appears that the wave maker had blown up.. literally and was having underwater sparks and fire. I quickly unplugged the power to the faulty wave maker which apparently is probably the reason why the power jumped in the first place. The water was literally smoking and I can smell the strong odor of burnt plastic. I quickly decided to do an emergency water change but it was too late. My GATF went into a berserk spook mode and could not stop hitting the walls everywhere. It was absolutely in panic and by the time I was able to get to him/her, the swim bladder was already starting to be off balanced.. eye bulging out much more than usual... at this rate, it was blindly bumping into walls at a fast speed. For the next 3 hours I tried to hold the fish up right and infront of the air stones. Ultimately by the end, the gatf succumbed to his self inflicted injuries.. my luck with fish this year has been absolutely ****.. i feel like I lost a cat or dog... I'm not too sure if I could have done any more to help. This happened literally days before I was prepared to move to my friends larger setup.. Already cycled it with other fish and media seeding.. I was worried that the gatf might thrash too much from the move but at least that would have been a plastic crate rather than full on hard glass with speed... -

I'm going to preserve and create a taxonomy model out of it for all the memories..

It measured up to exactly 60cm.. 24"...

Here are some photos...

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

Aquatank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
california
aquatank134.wixsite.com
Hey dude I am sorry for your loss.
This same thing happened to my pbass last week as the power supply fluctuations caused a heavy current leakage in the tank but as the pbass are surface swimmers the was affected the most and had hot he swim bladder problem just like your fish and eventually after 2 hours he gave up and passed away.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jrp0405

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
Mi
I'm glad that you are safe, electrical problems around water is bad news.

Beautiful fish, sorry for your loss

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Absolute beast! I am so sorry. I understand completely the effort and passion it takes to keep an animal like this one.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'm sorry to hear this bro. It's one of those freak accidents we have no control over, this one really sucks. We all loved your updates on the beast.

Rukusbelow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
LaLa Land
I truly feel your pain, I lost my big guy back then when my wolves were pairing up. Got spooked one day by the wolves fighting slammed the center brace so hard he had a rectangular imprint on his forehead. Because of his lost I took a break from the hobby for a while. I share your pain bro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store