Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello, one of my M. Schomburgkii slammed into the side when introduced to the tank. It sustained an upper mouth injury. I have had this happen before with SDs. It has been healing for several days. The epidermis and most of the upper lip of the superior mouth structure are gone. The dermis appears to have slight granulation and is healing. He eats like a champ and appears to be one of the more dominant SDs.

I seriously doubt the wound will heal back to normal approximation; however, how long do you believe before the area is covered again?

I have simply used frequent wcs, a little mela/pima snake oil, and some rock salt (approximately at a concentration around 1.5 lb. Per 100g) to stimulate slime coat and provide some prophylaxis. You can actually see his upper teeth in the one pic...gives reference to the extent of the face bash.

Any suggestions to speed up healing?

Fyi it is SoCal water so fairly basic/hard so that most likely does effect the fish's natural healing. They are being used as dither/target fish.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I would just keep with the water changes; the whole thing is to prevent infection. However, I don't think mela/pima helps.
They heal quickly and fairly well; I have seen what could be considered horrendous injuries heal almost completely. Sometimes the the last signs of injury may remain visible for up to a month, but eventually heal completely, although a slightly different 'shape' of the snout may remain. There seems to be at least another fish with a bit of 'nose bleed'?
How many fish and what size tank?

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
I would just keep with the water changes; the whole thing is to prevent infection. However, I don't think mela/pima helps.
They heal quickly and fairly well; I have seen what could be considered horrendous injuries heal almost completely. Sometimes the the last signs of injury may remain visible for up to a month, but eventually heal completely, although a slightly different 'shape' of the snout may remain. There seems to be at least another fish with a bit of 'nose bleed'?
How many fish and what size tank?
There are 7 in 180. Not full life because wide bars get way too big for a typical 6 footer imo; however, they will take a while to get there. I would say they are 4-5 inches. By the time they are a little bigger than a dessert plate I will re-home. There is another with a scuff that I anticipate a quick heal on. They are actually less skittish being CB compared to the WC I have had in the past.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Keep water pristine and make sure fish are eating well. I’d do as fjb suggested. Pima and melafix won’t help imo. Can add some salt or stresszyme. What are you feeding? Using any carbon?

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Keep water pristine and make sure fish are eating well. I’d do as fjb suggested. Pima and melafix won’t help imo. Can add some salt or stresszyme. What are you feeding? Using any carbon?
I have some unopened Rox carbon if needed. I have rock salt in the tank for the time being. I was just dosing mela/pima because I have had the pond verions for quite a while and they were expriing soon. I know they are useless, but they do smell good lol. Do you think removing the dissolved organics with carbon would be beneficial?

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
I am feeding NLS insectum because I have pounds of it....I do throw some broken algaemax wafers in for the plecos and of course they end up going to the vacuum Schomburgkii

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have some unopened Rox carbon if needed. I have rock salt in the tank for the time being. I was just dosing mela/pima because I have had the pond verions for quite a while and they were expriing soon. I know they are useless, but they do smell good lol. Do you think removing the dissolved organics with carbon would be beneficial?
Can help if ur water parameters are out of control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store