Fahaka Puffer

fahakapuffer20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2006
California
Please comment on the questions im asking, not put your $.02 on subjects where i don't care for your opinion. A fish loves his real home, so y do you have him in your house in the netherlands???? These fish are from the Nile unless someone here has a multi million gallon tank, im sure the fish knows he is not "home". I have been keeping fish for over 10 years in this time i have seen some horrible stuff, 3 med black ghosts in a 20 gallon, 9in red tail in a 13 gallon people putting arrowheads with fahaka's to fight etc. Those things mentioned suck, and are things to feel bad about, me not putting sand and wood however is not. If you people are so diehard puffer fanatics y do you have them captured n placed in your home for your enjoyment???????? I really wish some of you people would hop of your high horse. If i keep my fahaka in a 90 with nothing and you keep your fahaka in a 125 with plants and sand are you really helping this fish out???? We both have basically imprisoned him for our own selfish gain, all of you are no better than me!!!! I apoligize for the rant to those of you who have stayed on subject, i just get so sick of these so called activists who r being hypocrites. Its like a bird activist saying there cage is bigger and more decorated, Birds aren't meant to be caged they have endless sky to fly around. Its a proven fact that all animals strongest instinct is to reproduce, are any of you offer this to your so called "happy" puffer? I didn't think so, despite them showing "Love" by swimming to the top begging to be fed by there captor lol, there really a miserable sexually frustrated fish lol. Sorry again to those of you not being hypocrites.

jus85411

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
nowhere
no one is trying to say they are better than you. were giving you opinions on how to make your tank more suitable for your fish so he seems happier, he might respond better to you with a more natural environment. we all understand we cant exactly replicate their environment, not only in the decor sense but also the water quality/volume. but as responsible(not saying your irresponsible) fish keepers we dont cut corners to make us more happy because of less maintenance and the fish more uncomfortable. i(and everyone in these forums that make the best possible environment, including you) possibly was the factor between my puffer and death. some kid could have come into the pet store and bought the fish thinking hes cool looking and the puffer i have could have been dead already. WE didnt take anything out of the ocean for our pleasure, someone else did. we rescued them from pet stores where someone else(most likely misinformed about them) would have bought them and killed them because they didnt do research or someone gave them wrong information. we arent here to flame you, were here to help you out. give you constructive criticism, offer ways to make your tank better if your interested in doing them. then when people take it the wrong way, thats when people get flamed.

fahakapuffer20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2006
California
Now that is constructive criticism, and i can appreciate you speaking like a gentlemen.Its not what you say its how your say it. I have a problem with people saying your "Irresponsible" Poor fishy" etc. I am 22 years old juggling a job, kids, and keeping a social life i think its responsible for me to realize im not going to scrub the heck out of it once a week and figuring out another way for the water to stay cleaner longer. I do however disagree with you on the saving the fish from the petstore comment. We are not saving the fish from the people who catch them, we are the reason they do catch them! I just bought this fish, for 150 dollars, i have spent thousands on fish in my lifetime like many of you. If there wasn't money in the selling of fish they wouldn't be captured in the first place.

colwellsoddballs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2009
ohio
www.youtube.com
fahakapuffer20;3835838; said:
The filter was cycled, everything was in order. He seems to be doing very well, he is eating well,after being added less that 48hrs ago,and is not breathing heavy. As far as if i care, i will say i probably dont care as much as you, but i do care! If i didnt i wouldnt have dedicated my 2000 dollar+ setup on solely 1 fish, i would have let him rot in a 55. While i value your opinions, i have to agree with kolossus on the decor, Im my opinion, i would think the fish is more concerned with pristine water, and being fed, than he is in passing the hours. Im not a pufferfish and i could be wrong, but we will never know :)
i have to agree with u buddy. some people think the fish not just puffers all fish in general need to have there tanks set up like the wild. if the fish isnt stressed and is eating and swimming around i would say it is pretty happy. who is to say the fish does or doesnt like its decor in the wild.
but onto ur main topic will the puffer be fine in that tank i would say yes and no as it is prob already to big for the tank seeing how it has that section in the middle. but since its the only fish in there i think it will survive till u can get a larger setup. i had a fahaka and it sure did not grow no inch a month more like 1 inch every 3 months. also gold fish are supposedly not a healthy food source but who is to say what a fahaka puffer and all other fish eat in the wild is so called healthy im pretty sure all fish eat something in there life time that has a disease or infected with something thats what fish have immune systems for.

jus85411

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
nowhere
i agree that if we werent buying them there wouldnt be a market. but if a single puffer were to get into the market by accident and it sells quickly and someone else asks about it, demand starts. whether you started it or not, theres nothing to control worldwide demand other than absolutely no one in the world capturing from the ocean it because its cool looking or buying it because they like it. demands in the aquarium world started long before me and you were ever brought into the hobby or even the world. same with reptiles, amphibians, zoos, aquariums. theres countless things to relate this too, theres just nothing we can do but know that the puffer we bought has better conditions than what he could have if someone misinformed ended up with him, and you provided him with a bigger tank as a more suitable home so your included there. the only thing else you could really do is provide a more comfortable home, maybe with a little more comfort he would be more active. the more a fish feels stressed the lower the immune system gets and more susceptible to sickness he is. so not only are you helping your fish, you may save yourself from future headaches if the fish gets something he could have normally fought off.

fahakapuffer20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2006
California
This question is just out of curiosity, I wonder what everyone does with there large fahakas? I've owned a few, but have returned them to my lfs when they where reasonable small around 5/6 inches. The question is mainly because i was looking right now for large fahakas for sale online and couldn't find any. I found a few old links of people trying to sell, and there didn't appear to be any buyers. Being as this fish is pretty common small and they grow big really quick what do all these people who's fish outgrow there tank do, most lfs don't want a huge puffer that will eat them out of house and home and isn't easy to sell so returning it is out. Do they take them to rivers, kill them, does there growth just stay at however much room they have to grow, even for long periods of time ? Im not trying to start and argument or get under anyones skin, just wondering, as you would think there would be huge fahaka's for sale everywhere being as im sure most fish keepers don't want to dedicate a huge tank to a solitary fish, and it is fairly uncommon to see a large fahaka for sale at lfs or online. Once again i realize everyone here loves puffers and is prepared for the commitment ahead of time, Im just talking about your average Joe who picks up one of these guys for his 20 gallon as a baby not knowing.

fahakapuffer20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2006
California
He is doin the same unfortunatly, Im not sure what to make of it tho. I have been doing tests, once a day an they all come back good. He still is breathing well, no gasping or rapid breathing, his fins are clear, and his body has no spots or fungus. Is there any other sign of disease i should look for? I added the driftwood with the plants and he has yet to explore, either one. I tried feeding him freeze dried krill soaked in vita chem earlier it didnt work, Is there anywhere else i can buy this garlic juice besides the lfs? Im gonna try the shrimp garlic thing tonight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store