Favorite cat under 12"

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice suggestions. Lots of stuff for Theos.dad to ponder. Glad to see Theos.dad has much interesting experience under belt and is such a pleasant addition to our forum overall.

I assume if the catfish is a centerpiece, it's got to be active or maybe semi-sedentary but not hiding. I'd not understand a hiding centerpiece. On the other hand, tanks often evolve and not always work out as planned, especially for the lifetimes of the inhabitants or the keeper.

Harlequin lancer sounds like a perfect fit to me. Or one of.

No something that rare never comes up in rescues. I wish it did. Instead we get pacu, goldfish, pleco, iridescent sharks, koi, oscar :) I had to buy our trio.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Another one I've not heard of. This guy looks to have a huge mouth for 4 inches! That's awesome. Absolutely had the same build as a redtail. Love it. I noticed in that link someone said not to expect it to stop growing at 4 inches. Have you personally seen these get any bigger or is 4 topped out? Great suggestion my friend

This is a gorgeous fish. How do they behave with others and what's the biggest you seen or heard of? That black and Yellow pattern is stunning. I'm guessing these guys come our during the days as well?
I did some reading around and saw 4-5 inches to be the average. I believe someone responded to the thread noting that they could exceed it considering different locales and genetic diversity.
Would still be awesome at 8 inches imo

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I did some reading around and saw 4-5 inches to be the average. I believe someone responded to the thread noting that they could exceed it considering different locales and genetic diversity.
Would still be awesome at 8 inches imo
Raninus? I don't think so. Fishman Dave Fishman Dave said in your thread it reaches 8"+ and he knows what he is talking about. I believe he was just trying to be soft and diplomatic, so unlike me haha...

PCF: 8" standard length, means without the tail fin. = 10-11" total length. Raninus is a well known fish. I'd expect from 2"-3" to 6" in one year and slower from there.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Raninus? I don't think so. Fishman Dave Fishman Dave said in your thread it reaches 8"+ and he knows what he is talking about. I believe he was just trying to be soft and diplomatic, so unlike me haha...

PCF: 8" standard length, means without the tail fin. = 10-11" total length. Raninus is a well known fish. I'd expect from 2"-3" to 6" in one year and slower from there.

Wonder if I’ve just been looking at the wrong fish the whole time lol, thankfully I’d have room for an 8”-12” catfish regardless.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
The problem with batrochoglanis is guaranteeing which one you have. Currently there are a number on the market for sale simply labelled batrochoglanis cf. Peru and this family covers such a vast area and is one of the least explored families with very similar fish ranging from microglanis at 1” to batrochoglanis at anything from 4” to over 24”. All looking like typical bumblebee jelly cats.

As for the marbled lancer, that in my opinion would be another excellent choice, I have a 7” one and quite stunning, albeit has a favourite corner to mooch in and rarely ventures around the 150ukg tank. (More than a bumblebee jelly cat though)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
Nice suggestions. Lots of stuff for Theos.dad to ponder. Glad to see Theos.dad has much interesting experience under belt and is such a pleasant addition to our forum overall.

I assume if the catfish is a centerpiece, it's got to be active or maybe semi-sedentary but not hiding. I'd not understand a hiding centerpiece. On the other hand, tanks often evolve and not always work out as planned, especially for the lifetimes of the inhabitants or the keeper.

Harlequin lancer sounds like a perfect fit to me. Or one of.

No something that rare never comes up in rescues. I wish it did. Instead we get pacu, goldfish, pleco, iridescent sharks, koi, oscar :) I had to buy our trio.
I really appreciate the kind words my friend. I'm not sure how it took me so long to find this forum (or any forum for that matter). I've always used a mom and pops fish store about an hour away for any info I needed til I finally got to the point of being comfortable enough to just figure it out on my own and react to problems that come up. I actually got into all this when my mother bought me a very small tank and a few guppies several years ago. They of course died due to me not knowing what I was doing but they did spark something in me. When I went to get more guppies I seen my first angel fish up close and personal. I quickly bought a bow front (doesn't everyone start with a bow front bow front some reason lol) and stocked it slap full of angels. I managed to keep those for quite some time and was completely fascinated with them. Thought they had to be the be all - end all fish for me.. then I seen guapotemel I believe it was on YouTube with his big dovii. That led me to search for bigger fish. And the gold saum/green terror blew my mind. It just took off from there. At one point we had two full bedrooms , the kitchen and dining room. And the living room full. We've since scaled back some after my son was born.

This forum actually turned me on to catfish. I was never really interested in them. I thought they were big and slow and hid all day basically. I'd like to eventually take our spare bedroom and install one of these 400 to 600 gallon pools I see ppl having and get a tiger shovel nose. Out of everything I've seen those and the jaguar are rely beautiful to me.

I'm very happy to be here guys and gals. I have have the next few days off work so I'll be posting some updates in my oscar thread soon. I've still gotta get a log going of our flowerhorn also.
Its really cool to be able to document the lives of these fish.

I'll be making a post in the new member section with my time off and posting pics of what all we currently have.

I'm a big fan of the synodontis family. Unfortunately most like to hide, at least mine do. Petricola are the most out growing I've had and a big tank with a good size group is very fun.
I also like them. Ive not had one personally since we've never really got into catfish till now. We've obviously had plecos back in the day that outgrew our tanks at the time in short order but never any other "cool cats" like the ones being mentioned.
I see there's one that seems to be really expensive. The synodontis granules I believe. I've seen some of those priced at 2 to 300 bucks! They look way to much like the regular featherfin for that price. My wife's dead set on having one of the m from petsmart for her severum tank.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I also like them. Ive not had one personally since we've never really got into catfish till now. We've obviously had plecos back in the day that outgrew our tanks at the time in short order but never any other "cool cats" like the ones being mentioned.
I see there's one that seems to be really expensive. The synodontis granules I believe. I've seen some of those priced at 2 to 300 bucks! They look way to much like the regular featherfin for that price. My wife's dead set on having one of the m from petsmart for her severum tank.
I've got two hybrid synos, Valentini I believe that are a couple of the coolest looking synos I've come across (locally) tiger stripes and streamers on the fins. They say 8" is max size for them. I almost never see them though. I've found that if you give them a open "root structure" to hide in you can still see them but they think they are well hidden. Currently most of my synos reside in my 300 poly pond. It's not really set up the way I want it so almost never see any of them. With my current schedule it's feed and change water and no time for enjoyment or setting up the rest of my tanks. I don't even have time to clean the glass most of the time. Plus side is the algae on the glass helps with keeping the parameters in check. Fish are healthy currently that's all I care about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store