Favorite music?

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
This is my favorite song right now. Can't stop listening to it. Just discovered this band over the weekend. Been getting back into metal again lately.

Reactions: FESHMAN

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
You are all musical children :)

I am about to turn 73. I owned vinyl- 45 rpms as a kid.

In the 1970s I was a partner in a sound company. We did a bunch of concerts with a variety of groups who ram the gambit of many musical styles. I could list a few of the names but most would need to Google them. Our first show was with the Ohio Players who had a hit song- "Fire"

We got that gig because friends of our had a lighting company and they referred us when the school hosting the show had failed to get a sound company. Over the next few years when our friends needed hel on lighting, I would often volunteer, I actually ran a theatrical carbon arc spotlight for one show. Sometimes they would let me do the main lighting board for a warmup act. Got to hear Bonny and Delaney and Orleans that way (among others).

The first concert I ever attended was Jimi Hendrix. The tickets were $1. The show was one of the earliest in the Schafer Beer In the park concerts that went on for decades long after the beer folks were no longer involved. The show I saw was in the Wollman Skating Rink in Central Park and the opening act was Jerry lee Lewis. The last time I went to one these shows the venue had moved to a Pier on the Hudson near the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier. I saw the Kinks there.

I was at the Stones show in 1969 in Baltimore. They were at their peak back then. One song from that show is on the Get Your Ya Yas Out Album "It was recorded in New York City, New York and Baltimore, Maryland in November 1969."

My favorite band is still little Feat- even after Lowell passed. I have seen them 4 times live. After them the Dead are the second most concerts. I saw them when Pigpen was still alive.

Now for some of the bands we did the sound for: (our company was Smilin Jack Enterprises Ltd.)
Sha Na Na
Canned Heat
Donald Byrd and the Blackbyrds
Doc and Merle Watson
(this was taped and broadcast on PBS)
Muddy Waters
Rio Kowasaki
Taj Mahal

A benefit concert featuring Jackie McLean . Max Roach was the drummer and the show was in fronr of the stage curtain. The split was behind max and i was behind the curtain watchin through the split. His fingers moved so fast they were a blur. AMAZING!
The Persuasions (an a cappella group). The did an afternoon show in a student center at a UConn campus. They entered and sang there way to the stage and one by one hoppep up onto it. The they turned around in a line still singing and hopped of and dabce out of the room. they returned a few minutes later and di d the show. One of the guys had split his pants wide open jumping into the stage. He had to change his pant.
Three Day Bluegrass festival in Rhode Island
Climax Blues Band
NRBQ
Fats Domino

I know there are more, but this was in the 1970s and my memory is not what it used to be.

Many of the greats are gone, here is a gift from the grave, I suggest you p[lay it loud

" John Weldon "J. J." Cale[1] (December 5, 1938 – July 26, 2013) was an American guitarist, singer, and songwriter. Though he avoided the limelight,[2] his influence as a musical artist has been widely acknowledged by figures such as Mark Knopfler, Neil Young and Eric Clapton, who described him as "one of the most important artists in the history of rock".[3] He is considered to be one of the originators of the Tulsa Sound, a loose genre drawing on blues, rockabilly, country, and jazz. ?
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Cale

OK- an encore, I can't help myself

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Been listening to lots of classic country. Yes I hate new country.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Imo, country is the worst music genre. Underline in my opinion. Some new country is ok, but country that is like "A fIsH AnD a WhiStLE; A WhiStLE aNd a FiSh" is terrible in my opinion. It is catchy, I will give you that. Billy Rae Cyrus is cool, cuz he mixes country and pop/rap/hip hop. Blue Grass is terrible. U grew up listening to Fish and a Whistle. Terrible song.

• Wow
Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Imo, country is the worst music genre. Underline in my opinion. Some new country is ok, but country that is like "A fIsH AnD a WhiStLE; A WhiStLE aNd a FiSh" is terrible in my opinion. It is catchy, I will give you that. Billy Rae Cyrus is cool, cuz he mixes country and pop/rap/hip hop. Blue Grass is terrible. U grew up listening to Fish and a Whistle. Terrible song.
First time ive ever heard billy ray cyrus referred to as cool, hopefully the last time too.
Theres no way billy ray is cooler than johnny cash, willie nelson or hank williams. Im not even a big country fan either but that was too outrageous of a comment not to respond to.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
First time ive ever heard billy ray cyrus referred to as cool, hopefully the last time too.
Theres no way billy ray is cooler than johnny cash, willie nelson or hank williams. Im not even a big country fan either but that was too outrageous of a comment not to respond to.
If he was on a music forum coming out with statements like that, he'd soon be on probation there too!! Lol.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I'm not sure Younger people are aware of 1992 billy ray, they only know about the remade billy that did a song with lil nas x awhile ago.

I like older country myself, Waylon Jennings and Hank Jr. being favorites, but mostly heavy metal. Lamb of God, whiechapel, and others that fit in that group.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store