Datnoid Island
I have not used Bugbites.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Bug Bites is a bit of a farce IMO.

This food isn't exactly new, it's been on the market for over a year. I started feed trials with it last year. Probably just took a while to reach parts of the USA. Someone PM's me about this food yesterday, so I'll add on here for anyone else interested.

Pros

1. all species of fish readily eat it, except one, my adult midas. He prefers anything but, the bugs. I would expect most polys to eat it without too much issue. I suspect the high fat level adds to the taste/smell.

2. A sustainable & novel form of protein is used.

Cons

1. Protein is not just from fly larvae, they also include some form of salmon, fish protein concentrate, and peas. I would have preferred to not see terrestrial plant matter (peas) being utilized as protein (might as well be soybeans), or fish protein concentrate, and would have preferred to see a LOT more fly larvae meal.

2. It's a high energy food with a minimum of 12.5% crude fat, which means the average fat level, or typical analysis, would be closer to 15%. IMO that's far too high for most tropical fish to consume as a daily staple. Especially species of fish that don't expend a lot of energy in an aquarium.

2. No aquatic plant matter. None. No spirulina, no kelp, no form of algae or seaweed. Even fish classified as strict carnivores in nature typically consume some aquatic plant matter via the guts of their prey. I personally like to see aquatic plant matter in all formulas of fish food. The lack of this is a big negative in my book.

3. Potato - why? If the company was more specific one would know, but without further details it could be used as another terrestrial based protein (potato protein concentrate) or as a binding agent (potato starch). Who knows? Either way, no thanks to feeding potatoes to carnivores - the wheat in this formula should suffice as a binding agent.

If combined (peas/potato/wheat) the inclusion rate of terrestrial based plant matter in this formula might be alarming.

BTW - I would not count on EQ levels being low just because insect larvae meal is used as one of the main protein sources. The company might share that info with you, or not? Probably not, as most manufacturers probably don't test their final formulations as there is no requirement to do so.

Due to the higher protein, and high fat levels, this formula would probably work well as a conditioning food for fish getting ready to spawn, but due to the reasons listed above I would not feed as a daily staple, to polys, or anything else.

Just my Canadian 2 cents worth .....

Reactions: islandguy11

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have not used Bugbites.
They are pretty good although a slightly smaller pellet. The oscars love them as well as the silver dollars and geos, if they can get them before the oscars. If your bass eat pellets they may like'm. I use them occasionally for a varied diet.
Pbass supposedly eat bugs too in the wild. I shy away from any live food whether it is farm raised or whatever. Closest I come is freeze dried.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A6581...rds=bug+bites&qid=1555510985&s=gateway&sr=8-4

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Bug Bites is a bit of a farce IMO.

This food isn't exactly new, it's been on the market for over a year. I started feed trials with it last year. Probably just took a while to reach parts of the USA. Someone PM's me about this food yesterday, so I'll add on here for anyone else interested.

Pros

1. all species of fish readily eat it, except one, my adult midas. He prefers anything but, the bugs. I would expect most polys to eat it without too much issue. I suspect the high fat level adds to the taste/smell.

2. A sustainable & novel form of protein is used.

Cons

1. Protein is not just from fly larvae, they also include some form of salmon, fish protein concentrate, and peas. I would have preferred to not see terrestrial plant matter (peas) being utilized as protein (might as well be soybeans), or fish protein concentrate, and would have preferred to see a LOT more fly larvae meal.

2. It's a high energy food with a minimum of 12.5% crude fat, which means the average fat level, or typical analysis, would be closer to 15%. IMO that's far too high for most tropical fish to consume as a daily staple. Especially species of fish that don't expend a lot of energy in an aquarium.

2. No aquatic plant matter. None. No spirulina, no kelp, no form of algae or seaweed. Even fish classified as strict carnivores in nature typically consume some aquatic plant matter via the guts of their prey. I personally like to see aquatic plant matter in all formulas of fish food. The lack of this is a big negative in my book.

3. Potato - why? If the company was more specific one would know, but without further details it could be used as another terrestrial based protein (potato protein concentrate) or as a binding agent (potato starch). Who knows? Either way, no thanks to feeding potatoes to carnivores - the wheat in this formula should suffice as a binding agent.

If combined (peas/potato/wheat) the inclusion rate of terrestrial based plant matter in this formula might be alarming.

BTW - I would not count on EQ levels being low just because insect larvae meal is used as one of the main protein sources. The company might share that info with you, or not? Probably not, as most manufacturers probably don't test their final formulations as there is no requirement to do so.

Due to the higher protein, and high fat levels, this formula would probably work well as a conditioning food for fish getting ready to spawn, but due to the reasons listed above I would not feed as a daily staple, to polys, or anything else.

Just my Canadian 2 cents worth .....
I was not interested in reading any of that.......why? I remember when you posted about the product a while back which pretty much told me all I needed to know about the stuff.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I was not interested in reading any of that.......why? I remember when you posted about the product a while back which pretty much told me all I needed to know about the stuff.
I think the info was directed toward LBDave's query about bug bites.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand

Chill about what lol, I was just trying to clarify...and I personally have no opinion about bug bites whatsoever; they're not available here and I've never used them. But that's exactly what RD was giving you, info and an opinion :)

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
View attachment 1369301

Chill about what lol, I was just trying to clarify...and I personally have no opinion about bug bites whatsoever; they're not available here and I've never used them. But that's exactly what RD was giving you, info and an opinion :)
Not you. Directed towards Krich but he explained... Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store