Feeding small gar?

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
Baby gar for sure. the larval stage have the weird tail and no snout yet. I would try frozen baby brines shrimp or small blood worms. If you gather some wild algae mats there's all kinds of invertebrates living in it that you can probably feed it on til it's big enough to eat more frozen. Mosquito larvae would be another good choice.

gar fry.jpg

images.jpg

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
I second what Cowturtle Cowturtle said, when my daughter caught our baby Lng20200614_133234.jpg it was new born guppy fry and mosquito larvae till he gained some size then it was tadpole and larger guppies

Liam515

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2021
IMG_20210609_212120829~2.jpg
Thanks I was thinking it was a gar but my dad said it could be a sturgeon. That was the best side image I could get (he bid not enjoy it). The idea about getting the algae clumps is a great idea I might go it but my mom might not like it because of the mosquitoes.

Ferretfish12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2021
If it’s a gar, try blood worms or fruit flies on the surface of the water, If it’s a sturgeon, I would recommend trying just the blood worms for now. I’m not nearly an expert on sturgeon but I know a lot about gar. BTW, looks like a gar to me, but it looks like it has a curved snout, which is in most sturgeon I’ve ever seen online.

Ferretfish12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2021
If it’s a gar, try blood worms or fruit flies on the surface of the water, If it’s a sturgeon, I would recommend trying just the blood worms for now. I’m not nearly an expert on sturgeon but I know a lot about gar. BTW, looks like a gar to me, but it looks like it has a curved snout, which is in most sturgeon I’ve ever seen online.
Never mind
Never mind, it’s actually a gar seeing the other pictures And the fact that one looks like is just chilling on the surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store