Feeding your Largemouth Bass?

Moofahsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
My largemouth weighed 14.44 on July 31st...she eats bass up to 12" and shad up to 9". It isn't unusual for her not to eat but once every 4 or 5 days after a single giant meal.

Feeding her gold fish daily sure doesn't seem to bulk her like massive meals do.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
Dont feed them goldfish....they do not have the nutrients your bass need, they are very bad to use for feeders. Rosy Reds, Guppies, Convicts are all better for your Bass, but a varied diet of feeders, shrimp, crickets, blood worms would be best if you dont want to train them to eat pellets or sticks.

FLiP129

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
pembroke pines, fl
Moofahsa;4502620; said:
My largemouth weighed 14.44 on July 31st...she eats bass up to 12" and shad up to 9". It isn't unusual for her not to eat but once every 4 or 5 days after a single giant meal.

Feeding her gold fish daily sure doesn't seem to bulk her like massive meals do.

Do you keep her by herself or with other big bass? I have an 8 lber that ive had for a couple months and recently put another 6 lber with her. They seem to not get alone and im worried she might kill the smaller bass.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
FLiP129;4504518;4504518 said:
Do you keep her by herself or with other big bass? I have an 8 lber that ive had for a couple months and recently put another 6 lber with her. They seem to not get alone and im worried she might kill the smaller bass.
Bass are very territorial.....is it a male/female combo?

FLiP129

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
pembroke pines, fl
i dont know, but ive heard only females can get that large so im assuming its female/female. At this time they seem to be okay, however the smaller bass has very bright stress colors at all times.

warmouth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
missouri
FLiP129;4521077;4521077 said:
i dont know, but ive heard only females can get that large so im assuming its female/female. At this time they seem to be okay, however the smaller bass has very bright stress colors at all times.
How big is the Tank, and do you have any structure in your tank?

Brekkem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Bump, would anyone recommend or be against feeding it fat head minnows (I think they're actually another type of rosey red minnow feeders) that I catch in a stream by my house? Or would you stay away from catching food in the wild. Also little blue gills and crawfish? I will probably stay away from the crawfish since I've seen others have fish die after eating them.

dcorreia

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Sacramento
It's a bass and they eat fish in the wild all the time so go for it, that's what they do naturally. It won't hurt the fish but you may introduce parasites to your tank... Also, if you have access to crawfish, bass love them, just don't feed them crawfish that are too big.

Bass_master23

Feeder Fish
Aug 6, 2017
I just caught a three inch largemouth bass what's the best thing to feed it and will it live with a larger sunfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store