Fertile Male blood parrot YouTube

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah I'd have to agree with cichlid keeper here. If the fry weren't his own he would be trying to eat them at every possible opportunity. Besides I don't think I've ever seen/heard of a fish guarding fry that weren't its own. I copied a link that I was looking at for anybody else that cares to look at.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
That video is more believable. I had a male pink convict guard spawns that were not his own though.
The other video linked shows fry in a totally different tank. I would'nt personally go searching through this guys videos as he's got a really dumb personality with his whole ghetto fish uk wigg thing he's doing.

Reactions: Fishenvy

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That video is more believable. I had a male pink convict guard spawns that were not his own.
Huh, neat. Mine used to breed with 3 females at the same time, pool all the eggs in one spot and then chase off all of the females and defend them all by himself or with his favorite girl (sometimes).

Reactions: Fishenvy

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
That video is more believable. I had a male pink convict guard spawns that were not his own though.
The other video linked shows fry in a totally different tank. I would'nt personally go searching through this guys videos as he's got a really dumb personality with his whole ghetto fish uk wigg thing he's doing.
Huh, I thought I linked the entire playlist, sorry about that. Also yeah the gimmick thing he does is kinda annoying but it's still interesting that there are fertile blood parrots that reach the public.

Last edited:

Unit-3

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2020
Huh. I've heard of fertile male parrots, but I'd never really seen one in person(still haven't...). There IS a way to 'trick' cichlid parents into raising fry that aren't theirs, believe it or not. Think about the cuckoo catfish, who employ a switcheroo tactic. (
) Maybe (and I'm not saying he did this, but it's a possibility, I've done it before...) he stuck a little siphon full of another specimen's fertile eggs into the batch, and they came out, with parents to guard them. Dunno, maybe I'm wrong. But anything is a possibility. I'd also like to point out that in his video on the growing of the fry (
) he never once shows the fully grown forms of the little things, and that their body shape is not exactly that of a Parrot hybrid type (includes blood parrots, KKP, Mammon, flowerhorn, Crystal Parrots). He could be doing it right and I could be the idiot here, but it just seems odd that their shape and color is like that. Also, their fry numbers are much lower than expected of parrots of their size (6-7" should produce around 800-1200 eggs, I had a pair of 5" parrots with 800 infertile eggs or so).

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Huh. I've heard of fertile male parrots, but I'd never really seen one in person(still haven't...). There IS a way to 'trick' cichlid parents into raising fry that aren't theirs, believe it or not. Think about the cuckoo catfish, who employ a switcheroo tactic. (
) Maybe (and I'm not saying he did this, but it's a possibility, I've done it before...) he stuck a little siphon full of another specimen's fertile eggs into the batch, and they came out, with parents to guard them. Dunno, maybe I'm wrong. But anything is a possibility. I'd also like to point out that in his video on the growing of the fry (
) he never once shows the fully grown forms of the little things, and that their body shape is not exactly that of a Parrot hybrid type (includes blood parrots, KKP, Mammon, flowerhorn, Crystal Parrots). He could be doing it right and I could be the idiot here, but it just seems odd that their shape and color is like that. Also, their fry numbers are much lower than expected of parrots of their size (6-7" should produce around 800-1200 eggs, I had a pair of 5" parrots with 800 infertile eggs or so).
Forgot about them catfish honestly. And with the babies I wouldn't be able to say if they are normal looking or not for parrots, never bred any myself. Not sure if them catfish could fool a SA/CA cichlid or not, they mainly specialize it tricking mouth brooding cichlids like the majority of Africans, granted still very possible but the babies in the vid don't seem to resemble how the baby cats are supposed to look.

Unit-3

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2020
Forgot about them catfish honestly. And with the babies I wouldn't be able to say if they are normal looking or not for parrots, never bred any myself. Not sure if them catfish could fool a SA/CA cichlid or not, they mainly specialize it tricking mouth brooding cichlids like the majority of Africans, granted still very possible but the babies in the vid don't seem to resemble how the baby cats are supposed to look.
I actually only meant to use the catfish as an example of how the switcheroo trick works. The actual concept is literally focusing the parents on the person’s hand while you drop fry into the nesting site. Anybody can do it, so long as they have the will and equipment to drop the fry in amongst the eggs. Any other cichlid hasn’t fry with similar body shapes up until around a month or two old. The colors don’t match for the later batches, either.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
I've seen breeding pairs of blood parrots in person. No I did not see them spawn but they were swimming with all the fry.

In fact there is a breeding pair of jumbo parrots @ forest lake pets right now. If they weren't so dang ugly I would have picked them.up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store