FH maybe a Texas?

Tobeyh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Right, so new at this FH thing. After watching many videos I decided I needed one. Now I have I'm I'm confused as to whether I've been given the wrong fish

Advertised as a king cherry Flowerhorn, but the more pictures I look at the more he's got me convinced he's a Texas possibly.

The only discerning thing that takes away from Texas is his red eyes which I can't seem to find any photos of one with. Sorry for poor quality photos he likes his hidey hole when he knows I'm in the room. (was meant for pleco)

His colours I would say in person are aquaish, green/black with very light red tinge through end of fins.

Note: the internal "filter" is just being used as a power head, I have a home made trickle sump on this tank.

Australian resident if that means anything.
20180419_074954.jpg 20180419_080019.jpg 20180419_080120.jpg

Reactions: Trimapit

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Your fish certainly has similar pearling to a Texas Cichlid, but I think you are the proud owner of a female King Cherry Flowerhorn.
We probably will never know what variety of fish DNA was combined to hybridize the King Cherry Flowerhorn, but I wouldn't be surprised if Texas Cichlid DNA was part of the mix.

Reactions: islandguy11

Tobeyh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Your fish certainly has similar pearling to a Texas Cichlid, but I think you are the proud owner of a female King Cherry Flowerhorn.
We probably will never know what variety of fish DNA was combined to hybridize the King Cherry Flowerhorn, but I wouldn't be surprised if Texas Cichlid DNA was part of the mix.
Thanks Stephen, so if she ends up being female that would mean total body size and KOK will be a bit smaller than a male?

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Your fish has a black marking on the dorsal fin, a trait consistent in a lot of varieties of female cichlids.
At first glance, it looks like your fish might be a short body, which means a short, probably stocky build. Might not develope a kok. My female FH, although a pretty fish, has no nuchal hump.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I didn't know they made flowerhorns without a buccal hump, lol. Well, now we all know, flowerhorns without that hump look like rio grandes.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
My guess is a type of Kamfa Flowerhorn.

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Thanks Stephen, so if she ends up being female that would mean total body size and KOK will be a bit smaller than a male?
Females can develop a kok but generally speaking you don't see many with one.

MadSoul87

Feeder Fish
Apr 19, 2018
I’m weighing in on it being a female FH. She has beautiful pearling I must say. My Texas has similar pearling to hers so I may have to agree with Stephen on Texas being part of the DNA makeup. Beautiful looking fish so far though. Hopefully she turns out colorful under all that pearling.

Reactions: Tobeyh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store