Filtration for Heavy BioLoad....

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Fluidized Bed isnt good enough on its own is just aditional filtration

the thing with Fluidized Bed is the bacteria dies super fast so if you turn it off or have a power cut it need to cycle again

i run a moving bed for about 6 months to see what all the fuss was about and found it rubbish so took it out a sand filter / Fluidized Bed is much much better for me

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Yup forgot to add drip system also.

Not rely sure how u can beat a bio reactor...The amount of media in my 35 gal reactor is rated to handle like 10+ lbs of food per day for a large koi pond or something crazy like that.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
:ROFL:

This is what I've learned as of late from MFK.....

All Potomotrygon species are just "rays". The names given to them are nothing more then made up crap that drives the price up, some of the names are from other animals, and some were 80s bands, all the names are jokes.

UV lights are all the same. Why spend good money on lights that are overpriced? UVs don't need R&D'd and paying someone to design them is a waste of money. You don't get what you pay for you get ripped off if you're not buying them off Ebay.

All filters are the same. You don't need anything fancy at all. Socks like fluidized beds are rubbish and a waste of time and money. All you need is a pile of Jap mat and a sand filter. Rinse your Jap mat in tap water once a year and "you're golden ponyboy."

I'll tell you what's rubbish, trying to enjoy the hobby on this site these days.

And people wonder why it's so hard to get decent info these days...... Anymore it's nothing more then a game of who can contradict who faster in a public display leaving the people actually wanting to learn so dang confused they don't even want rays anymore. And I hope the people "giving advice" are achieving some sort of satisfaction by providing "technically correct" answers that are only right to them in thier situation with variables that are a mystery to the rest of us.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I'd step up the mechanical filtration. Of all the various ray set ups I've had, I've learned that getting the waste out before it starts to break down is better than trying to maintain a stable biological set up large enough to process the bioload of a big ray group.

I run filter socks (or filter floss depending on the set up) as well as either sand filters or big canister filters to pull junk out of the water. Once most comes out that way, it's bioball towers to help with aerobic bacteria and gas exchange.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
:ROFL:

This is what I've learned as of late from MFK.....

All Potomotrygon species are just "rays". The names given to them are nothing more then made up crap that drives the price up, some of the names are from other animals, and some were 80s bands, all the names are jokes.

UV lights are all the same. Why spend good money on lights that are overpriced? UVs don't need R&D'd and paying someone to design them is a waste of money. You don't get what you pay for you get ripped off if you're not buying them off Ebay.

All filters are the same. You don't need anything fancy at all. Socks like fluidized beds are rubbish and a waste of time and money. All you need is a pile of Jap mat and a sand filter. Rinse your Jap mat in tap water once a year and "you're golden ponyboy."

I'll tell you what's rubbish, trying to enjoy the hobby on this site these days.

And people wonder why it's so hard to get decent info these days...... Anymore it's nothing more then a game of who can contradict who faster in a public display leaving the people actually wanting to learn so dang confused they don't even want rays anymore. And I hope the people "giving advice" are achieving some sort of satisfaction by providing "technically correct" answers that are only right to them in thier situation with variables that are a mystery to the rest of us.

looks like you learned a lot from me :)

all i can share is what works for me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store