Finally getting custom terrarium!! now what monitor/exotic reptile should I get.

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
Let me put this as kind & as help full possible, without exploding! First any monitor species is not a first time reptile to have,other words if you have few to none experiences with other reptiles.Its not a good idea!Yes some are hardy and tolerate,minor mistakes on husbundary.They nedd proper diet..example if you where to eat mc donalds "foods high on fat" would you be healthy? It's great that he is making you an enclosure & is a great ackie breeder!! More to you! That's him! I'm going on what you have said,you cant afford to feed them! Why have them?Yes there cool & all, but there a live creature,that deserves it's respect & requirements in order to thrive ,or live for a long time!!monitors are on of the most abused lizard species in the trade!! Daily i see "kids" buying these animals without doing any research, of what they are & need! If you had done research before hand!we wouldn't need to go on! The questions on the feeder is needed & welcomed & important!Your going kinda ok so far on asking,but as said your hearing what you want to!All teens are like that! Geesh,i was one too! :) If he says its what they need....Okei!!! Remember the more space the better,would you be happy to live in a room 8 x4 ,or a room 16 x 10!??? I am done you this thread & possibly more! The younger generations are getting worse & worse to talk & deal with! I apolagize if i offendid you or any one, here! As a reptile or exotic pet entusiest & lover,seeing what is happening to our community is a big ,scar full hit. With the repetition of the same mistakes,going on & on,some can understand & enlighten you! Good luck with the best of wishes to you & your choices! Jose

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Yum just throwing this out there but could you not go higher with the viv and get timor or two?

ackies are freaking dull yeah i said it...
You've never kept an ackie, have you?

I'm just going to be brutally honest here.....
You should not have an ackie. Not because of who you are, but because you just haven't done the research. I don't care how much research you're doing right now, before even considering buying any monitor, you should be able to answer all these questions in a heartbeat. You should not be considering getting one if you have to ask any of these questions. Period. Monitors are not tolerant of slip ups, and MONTHS and MONTHS of research should be done before even considering getting one. I'm sorry but that is just my opinion on this.

Another rule with monitors is there are no substitutions, there are no shortcuts. If you can't provide the food or caging we have recommended, DO NOT get a monitor. They are extremely intolerant of flaws in their care, and if you don't do everything exactly right, chances are you will end up with a dead monitor. That's just how it is, and it's not going to change.

Earth Eater

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2008
BC
I really dont think you (OP) are ready for a ackie. If you were you would not need to ask us what to feed it and how big of a enclosure it needs. If price is an issue dont get a monitor, to me they are one of the most expecive reptiles to feed. A leopard gecko, bluetongue, beardy, or anything like that would suit you. If you need to ask these questions on the ackie then you obviously should not get one and are not ready for one. I am not trying to be harsh but you really dont seem to be listening to very knowledgeable peoples advice.

Have a good

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
I hope after threads & posts of the same subjects, with the same advice will sink in! Get the cage,but start of with something thats not as expenssive or intolerant of husbandary requerments in a couple of years you'll be ready,I wanted a blur tree so bad but after monsth of reeasrch i went leopard geckos,cresties,tegus,skinks,ball pythons,cornsnakes, caiman lizards & i still dont think im ready for one after 5 years of ready,trolling other forums trying to obtain as much info as possible & there is plenty of bad info on them join a monitor site Varanus.net do some reading there for a while then you'll see what we are trying to say.I dont want to see another monitor die due to poor husbnadary even thou it happens,or another blow to the reptile community of a kid that keeps illegal insects going to jail!We all support each other in the exotic trade & wish to help & see other thrive with there animals & sucess with them.Thats all! Im 30 years old & make pleanty of $ enough that my wife stays home living la vida,to an extent.Shoot i even have an enclosure ready for two ackies that i stare at a n empty tank every day! & patience lil sky walker the force one day will come to you until then prepare! best of wishes im not raging on you for your age but lack of knolegde,it will come to you ,as it gas to all of us. Good luck Jose If i didnt care i wouldnt be here still! I care more then what moregive me credits for!

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks but you don't need to repeat things twice. I'm not the dumb and ignorant teen you guys think.

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
Your action speak louder then your words!Don't want my help say it,but remember me when poop hits the fan.All i wanted is to help you & your passion of monitors thats all!How would this guy thats building you his enclosure, feel .if you asked the same questions everyday all most. He gav e you the answers so go buy,if not read his article!!! it if it works, more to you & shame on me i've hed three monitors all pasted within months & i have plenty of reptile experience compared to others.Every thing i get i breed & see them thrive,not gold fishes! Reptiles,cresties ,lepords,bps etc......Again with age you will understand & think twice of what we mean Not what you take it as! If you goined some monitor forums they would chew you up & spit you on the floor ,like they've done to many others, including me!!Better be safe then sorry with a dead pet!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store