Finally, JDs have laid Eggs again!

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
hey there,

another update on the little cichlids...
The growing is way too good for only 9 weeks, I can´t believe how big they got through the weekly 70% water changes I did...
In a few weeks I should be able to tell males from females, the colouring is so sharp and brilliant... see yourself.
Which gender grows faster? Females or males?
is it just me or are there some grey ones that get the reddish coloration later, like my male got?
2018-07-20.JPG 2018-07-20 (2).JPG 2018-07-20 (3).JPG 2018-07.20.JPG 2018-07-20 (5).JPG 2018-07-20 (4).JPG

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
hey there,

another update on the little cichlids...
The growing is way too good for only 9 weeks, I can´t believe how big they got through the weekly 70% water changes I did...
In a few weeks I should be able to tell males from females, the colouring is so sharp and brilliant... see yourself.
Which gender grows faster? Females or males?
is it just me or are there some grey ones that get the reddish coloration later, like my male got?
View attachment 1325756 View attachment 1325757 View attachment 1325758 View attachment 1325759 View attachment 1325760 View attachment 1325761
I am not so sure you will be able to sex them soon, unless your females get an early blue beard.

The males usually grow faster and are bigger (but that’s not a guarantee either)

Beautiful babies!

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
Hey,

Thanks for your reply :)
For 8 weeks, they look really big so I don't know when they will show their gender...
I changed 70 percent of water again today, hoping it is clean enough to keep them healthy until I return from Berlin on Thursday.
My adults are picky as hell on food right now...
They only take fresh caught dwarf shrimps and snails only if they get their house destroyed...
But they are looking fine... so I guess they only eat when lights are out.
The babies start fighting about some areas and I saw some "fin-show-off" of two babies. Impressive how they slowly turn into juveniles...
Yes, indeed they are absolutely beautiful. I never had that colour intensity in earlier batches... some good genes in there...

Reactions: Jexnell and Niki_up

stoned_fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2013
Ont, Canada
Hi. You have a beautiful breeding pair of JD's there. I myself am also trying my luck at breeding them. I can not get the male to stop eating the fry though. Everything goes well until i do a water change around their 2 week mark. I'm curious if u have any tips on keeping the fry with the parents so long?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Hi. You have a beautiful breeding pair of JD's there. I myself am also trying my luck at breeding them. I can not get the male to stop eating the fry though. Everything goes well until i do a water change around their 2 week mark. I'm curious if u have any tips on keeping the fry with the parents so long?
Put egg crate on one side with plants, so the fry can get away

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
Hey,

My parents only eat their fry when thry are stressed or when the eggs are dead.
To prevent eating I would suggest to feed the parents with enough proteins.
Maybe they need to practice it first, it can take 2 or 3 batches to get it right for them. The second batch was eaten by my male because he had a bad day :)
You could also try to separate the fry from the adults. But I made the experience that the growth is way better when they stay with their parents.
Hope I can help you with thes advices :)

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
whew! water change time eh? I always worry when I have family feed the fish. They can help but overfeed :).

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
Hey,

Well, I have to admit the water is clean and almost free of cyanos at the moment.
My mother fed obviously only the two times a day I told her. Me, in comparison, feeds 5 times a day just to take some nice pictures and therefor I have to change that much water to avoid cyanos and visible dirt. But the pleco eats everything left on the ground so everything works fine right now.

Did I mention they start to breed again this morning?
Crazy fish...

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
My male died today.
He must have suffered the illnesses I tried to cure but failed...
Gill worms most likely.
I hate them.
R.I.P. big boy... you had a good but short life...
Now I will raise his fry and make up a new pair :-(
Even the plants formed a cross... beautiful tragedy right? :-(
20180730_084014.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store