Finally wild caught cichlids in Panama

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In the guide book I'm using, Freshwater Fishes of Costa Rica Bussing states" The food (of Roeboides) consists of fish scales, including those of other characins, cichlids, and others, and aquatic insects. With its characteristic head downward position, using their external teeth it strikes other fish on the sides to dislodge and eat their scales".
fullsizeoutput_d16.jpeg
He calls them Glass Headstanders as a common name.
fullsizeoutput_d17.jpeg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
In the guide book I'm using, Freshwater Fishes of Costa Rica Bussing states" The food (of Roeboides) consists of fish scales, including those of other characins, cichlids, and others, and aquatic insects. With its characteristic head downward position, using their external teeth it strikes other fish on the sides to dislodge and eat their scales".
View attachment 1359435
He calls them Glass Headstanders as a common name.
View attachment 1359436
Very cool! Have you observed them feeding on fish scales in your tank? I bet that could be a nuisance

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Haven't seen it yet, they took to flakes even faster than the cichlids did. I drop them in the outflow of a pump stream, so they move fast with the current, so it seems to stimulate an immediate feeding response.
Keep them well fed and you should be fine. From what I understand, they aren’t as bad as some astyanax species.
Love the tank and glad you finally have some cichlids. Some cribroheros diquis would be nice w/ them. Always wanted to do a tank with the two species together.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Diquis is also on my radar, as are any other Cribroheros from the area. I'll be satisfied with whatever pops up, as long as its not to big for the tank. For me a 10" adult cichlid is about the right size for a 180, something like Vieja maculicauda or Parachromis loisellii (also endemic here) might push those limits too far.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Nice, congrats on finally getting some fish in that new tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
I honestly don't want to sound like a pompous dbag, but..... do you see any issues with the morality of taking wild bred fish and moving them into a comparatively microscopic tank? Yeah, it's a cool story to catch it, but you could purchase whatever you want bred in captivity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store