Fire Eel Tank

Peetree

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
I know for sure adult fire eels need a very large tank. But I currently have 2 - 4” Senegal bichirs, a 3” black ghost knife, and a 9”fire eel in a 75 gallon tank. He seems to be growing quite slow. There was a 9” tire track in there with them but he became aggressive toward my fire eel so he was moved to my 125 tank til I upgrade my 75 to a 280.

Just curious when you all think would be a good time to upgrade the 75?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know for sure adult fire eels need a very large tank. But I currently have 2 - 4” Senegal bichirs, a 3” black ghost knife, and a 9”fire eel in a 75 gallon tank. He seems to be growing quite slow. There was a 9” tire track in there with them but he became aggressive toward my fire eel so he was moved to my 125 tank til I upgrade my 75 to a 280.

Just curious when you all think would be a good time to upgrade the 75?

tcav88 tcav88
kno4te kno4te

Reactions: Peetree and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
See varying numbers on growth. Should be 1in per month. Once it hits the 16-18 mark it needs to be moved and the growth may slow down. That’ll be about a year with a good diet and water changes. Seen it’s size increase once it get a larger tank. Can have a 30in fish in 3 years. In fact maybe switching it with the tire track in the 125g would be better if ur tank upgrade is ready. Try to get a tank with some width as well.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
See varying numbers on growth. Should be 1in per month. Once it hits the 16-18 mark it needs to be moved and the growth may slow down. That’ll be about a year with a good diet and water changes. Seen it’s size increase once it get a larger tank. Can have a 30in fish in 3 years. In fact maybe switching it with the tire track in the 125g would be better if ur tank upgrade is ready. Try to get a tank with some width as well.
I agree you should notice the growth pick up dramatically once you switch from bloodworms to something with a bit more nutrition such as worms tilapia shrimp.

Peetree

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
I agree you should notice the growth pick up dramatically once you switch from bloodworms to something with a bit more nutrition such as worms tilapia shrimp.
Only problem there is all he wants is bloodworms! Hahah, my tire track eel eats superworms and has gone from 5 inches to 9 inches in 1.5 months.

Any tips on expanding the fire eels diet??

Reactions: tcav88

Peetree

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Great! Just what I needed to know, thanks!
I would love to put him in the 125 but I just don’t think he has the personality for it. My tire track is a vicious little guy, chases my little jack dempsey off when he gets to close and swims around all day with my lil Oscar pack haha.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Only problem there is all he wants is bloodworms! Hahah, my tire track eel eats superworms and has gone from 5 inches to 9 inches in 1.5 months.

I always used teacher fish such as as Geo’s and silver dollars seemed to always work in my favor after a couple days of starving

littlefire

Feeder Fish
Jul 22, 2016
London, UK

My fire eel is about 4 years old and about 20 inches. He only ever ate bloodworm, and grew slowly, but when I started feeding the silver shark chunks of prawn he developed a taste for it, now loves it and ignores the bloodworm! (Comes up to my hand for bits of prawn). He started growing faster after that.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store