Fire Eels

Ma'ahes

Feeder Fish
Feb 25, 2018
I'm investigating keeping fire eels and would like to learn from people that work with them, everything that I need to know. What size of tank? I Intend to keep them longterm. I read that they refuse to eat if not kept in brackish water but what I've read they inhabit freshwater habitats. What is the actual situation?

Reactions: tlindsey

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
For a long term tank, I think a 220 is a bare minimum. That might not not even be big enough if you get one that grows to a very large size. They can grow to 40”. The range of full grown sizes is from 24-40”, but probably is usually closer to 30”.

As T thefredpit said, they are freshwater, not brackish.

As far as getting them to eat, it can be quite difficult. My first two I had no trouble with. They ate bloodworms from day one, and eventually they transitioned into other frozen foods. My third one started off much more difficult. It would not eat anything for a few weeks, but eventually started going after the live red wigglers. After that it started putting on good size and transitioned to other foods when I got it moved into the big tank with the other eels. Now, all three of my fire eels eat frozen tilapia, frozen shrimp, frozen scallops, frozen krill and live night crawlers. They all refuse to eat pellets though, which is fine with me.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
my smaller fire eel was a pain to get off bloodworms and I couldn't just stop with the bloodworms since other fish needed them then one day he accidently ate a small nightcrawler while sucking up bloodworms then he got a surprised look on his face and since then he only eats nightcrawlers

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Also as with all spiny eels and eels in general they are true escape artists and you maybe surprised to find they can fit through some of the smallest openings...

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
My fire eel is 32 inches and has put on over 6 of that in a matter of months, I do not think it will slow down growing for some time yet

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
My fire eel is 32 inches and has put on over 6 of that in a matter of months, I do not think it will slow down growing for some time yet
A few questions:

How old is your fire eel?

What size tank is it in?

What do you feed it and how often?

What is your water change schedule?

I’m just curious about these things because I’d like to know how my fire eels are doing as far as their health. I feed mine every three days with night crawlers, and then I alternate between frozen krill and frozen tilapia with the night crawlers. They are housed in a 220 and I do about a 90% water change every weekend. I pump as much water as I can out of the tank and sump and then replace it with aged water and some hose water.

Cosmic_surfer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln, NE
I have one fire eel that I keep with some central and South American cichlids and some bichir. Fire eels and eels in general can be touch and go. From my experience stress comes easy to these fish. But you can follow a few tips to help establish them.

1. Sandy substrate or very fine gravel. These guys love to burrow, so a planted tank will not be possible with these guys.

2. Hiding places. Eels are very skittish and they love to hide. Pvc pipe caves and decorations with small nooks will help an eel feel like it has hiding place.

3. Subdued lighting. These fish like it a little darker, I won’t say this is 100% necessary, but establishing the eel is where this advice comes in. Once they are established they are pretty tough customers.

4. High filtration. It goes without saying these guys need clean water. Canister filters are a must if space is an issue, but if possible use a sump. A sump if done right can highly oxygenate water and are very easy to maintain.

5. Frozen food and treats. People have claimed to pellet trained their eels, I don’t know if it is possible from my experience. These guys are the pickiest eaters. I have had mine for 4 years and worms seem to be the standing order. But every once in a while, when I’m with my wife at the Asian market, I will buy a few prawns or some squid, and treat my eel to something unique. Just make sure to cut it up into chunks they are readily able to swallow. Yep this will yuck up your water in short order, which places me back at the previous reason... high filtration.

If you get one established, rest assured he will be yours forever. They are personable and desire interaction with their keepers. Hand feeding is easy with these guys. Watching them and their eyes, you will see a fish with some real intelligence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store