First Arowana

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
On another note, i just got some water lettuces for free. Put like 6 in the aro tank (pretty small ones). Is it a good idea?

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Ok so it's "stupid question/looking for validation/approval" time

So as stated in my last posts, the injured left fin seems to be healing slowly but surely.

However this morning I noticed a pin sized hole in the right fin and later i came back home from work to a partly split fin where the hole was. So i just want to be reassured that it's from injury and not from disease. There's no white fuzz. The cut is clean (a bit dark/black along the edge). Water parameters are 0 for nitrate and nitrite. Ph around 6.5. Temperature of the tank is 28°c he's eating well. Like 6-7 dried shrimps and a dozen of hikari food sticks20191029_190606.jpg20191029_171328.jpg20191029_190655.jpg

I've put some melafix and pimafix as well as some salt since i had to treat and angelfish who got spots of his slim coat sucked off by a siamese algae eater anyway. One stone 2 fish.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Found catappa trees literally within 5minutes walking distance from my house. Picked a leaf from the tree to avoid any risk of contamination by dog urine or what not. Now drying it up. I only picked one leaf to try out since i'm not sure how much tannin it'll release.

20191101_145839.jpg

Reactions: islandguy11

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Looks good.
"The Internet" always talked of using the brown, so I've not used & can't comment on green- I assume it'll be the same, but maybe let The List chime-in before adding. islandguy11 islandguy11 ?
Me, I just use the fallen dog-pee ones on the grass, thus the washing. Brown from the tree, too, also washed in case of mozzie-spray.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I always assumed the brown leaves are just dried up greens ?. I'll leave it in the sun tomorrow. The mauritian summer sun should take care of it in a day or two
Well that certainly looks like the catappa leaves I've seen at aquarium markets/shops here -- except yeah they're always already dried out -- I personally don't know whether it's ok or not to use green leaves, so anyway good that you're drying them, as you say won't take long.

Unlike you more 'naturalist' guys :) though, I cheat: I use this stuff:
Medifish Wish Arowana Spa 3s.jpg

Problem is this gets taken out pretty easily during daily waste siphonings and weekly water changes, and would have to be replaced regularly to achieve more stable conditions like putting in actual leaves as you guys are. As such I mostly only use it for health or injury situations, not on a regular basis (and also because I'm personally not super keen on yellow/brown colored water).

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Tbh I don't know how I feel about dark water tint yet ? but in general I like a natural looking tank (no sponge bob house or pink pebbles in my tanks)

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
but... Thailand?
I'd expect it to be all over the place, every condo or hotel's landscaped garden, no?

Current leaves are lasting maybe a fortnight, leaving the veining (stock incl. snails/MTS, RTS, goby & pleco).
Far less tannin/water stain than I remember, maybe a seasonal thing or bad memory.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
but... Thailand?
I'd expect it to be all over the place, every condo or hotel's landscaped garden, no?

Current leaves are lasting maybe a fortnight, leaving the veining (stock incl. snails/MTS, RTS, goby & pleco).
Far less tannin/water stain than I remember, maybe a seasonal thing or bad memory.
It surely is quite common here, but I'm time challenged enough as it is, so use this for convenience and again I don't want tinted/brown water all the time. And then when my fish has any issue (like recently BBXB jumping and getting a gash on tank bracing), using this is likely faster acting than putting in leaves and waiting for them to decompose. My fish have always recovered from such injuries quite quickly using this method; not 100% it's due to the aid of this solution, but I highly suspect so (the sodium and calcium chlorides possibly help as well).

Reactions: andyroo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store