First Arowana

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hi Flukeone,
I'm impressed that you're able to get all of these species in Mauritius - we didn't have a proper importer from maybe 2012 until last year. I didn't give up (cool stuff in the rivers & a few breeders) but I'm glad to have options again.

25C - do you have it in a room with AC? My silver aro is in my no-AC'd office next to my desk & the window, but up to last month it was on the verandah. Water temp is 28 right now, might eek up to 32 in the depths of summer & drop to 26 during a winter storm and my fish don't seem to care; just the loaches as they prefer it toasty. When the time comes, you can build your big tank in the garden and generally "get away with" all manner of stuff the northern people can't, like letting errant vine roots clean up your nitrates, slowly leaking canisters etc. You can build a pond for him as he outgrows the tank too, then decide to put glass elevator sides on that pond a year or two later. Aros seem to live 15+years, so there's plenty of time to keep it all moving.

Scales likely won't return- mine haven't. He didn't get out of the tank, but did himself a major disservice on the closed lid chasing tree-frogs at about 10cm. He's now maybe 25cm and eye-drop seems to have grown out again (IE gone good) but scales are missing still.

Food: bugs. Leave the light on & window open in a side bathroom. Get up with the sun & pluck the moths, crickets, frogs, house geckos etc from the wall. Don't tell your mum. Avoid roaches you find on the floor- be sure they weren't poisoned. You can bump the fishes colours with foods like crickets & roaches, including gut-loading the live bug with carrot to increase further.

Re healing: a few pinches of salt. Then go down to the seashore and find an almond tree (Terminalia catappa, i think). Take a few of the brown leaves from the tree or the ground, wash in soapy water (dust, salt, pesticides) , rinse completely and put in the tank. They might stain the water a bit, but they do a great job of conditioning the water, reducing bacteria & fungi & helping healing. Shark will nibble on them, as will barbs. You can either leave them until they disappear or take them out when the aro is all better.

I've got some friends/colleagues at UofM, if you ever feel like graduate school :)
That's interesting your Arowana scales haven't grown back. Perhaps Silvers are different in this regard than Asians, but it's not uncommon for Asians to lose scales when jumping or fighting -- they normally grow back within a week or two, but the full re-coloration process can take months.

Also catappa leaves are indeed a great way to aid the healing process -- however I hope you're not washing them in soapy water as you suggest above -- soap and aquariums just don't mix bro, best just to boil them.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Great to meet you andyroo andyroo

The tank is in my livingroom with ac but the ac is only on when it's very hot. And even so it's not ont long enough to affect the tank temperature. Winter it's around 24-25 and in summer it's aroung 26. My smaller tank can go up to 30

The outdoor tank i'm planning is actually more or a raised pond with window. I'm looking for ways to build the sides as thin as i can and am now thinking maybe a fiber tank with a glass front

Haven't seen my fish in a week. Landing back to mauritius tonight after la Diagonale Des Fous of Réunion Island

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Also i've been reading about catappa and thought about ordering some on ebay but read a few forums about the leaves lowering ph and affecting the fish. So i want nt to learn more about it before using it.

I also started adding a pinch of salt... Like literally a pinch (dissolved in a water bottle prior adding to the tank of course). I'm thinking about readding salt every 2 wc

Hope to see my aro fin near to fully healed when I get home tonight

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Also i've been reading about catappa and thought about ordering some on ebay but read a few forums about the leaves lowering ph and affecting the fish. So i want nt to learn more about it before using it.
Don't buy online until you have a look around the neighbourhood - the tree is pretty, tough & salt-tolerant, so common wherever there's a seaside space that needs shade, particularly around public beaches & hotels.

It will drop your pH marginally, and your aro is likely to appreciate it. The tannins/tannic acid will also tea-stain your water; an aesthetic issue, but worth considering. Don't add too much until you get a feeling for how it impacts. Boiling might help with the staining, but may also remove what you're looking for. Rinse well if you wash "wild" leaves with soap - thanks Islandguy for reinforcing as it's quite vital.

I used to put 3~4 leaves into my 100 of mixed loaches, and let the leaves rot & be eaten away entirely over a couple of months before replacing. I personally like the colour, though. Not everybody will - my wife, for example.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
re "The outdoor tank i'm planning is actually more or a raised pond with window. I'm looking for ways to build the sides as thin as i can and am now thinking maybe a fiber tank with a glass front":

Thinnest you'll find will be 1/8" steel plate (with angle-iron reinforcement) sealed with an epoxy. We did a set of ~150gal pond sumps within a very limited work space, and it's worked a treat. However, it gets costly quickly, so get quotes and don't cheap-out on the welding rods/materials.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
islandguy11 islandguy11 the scales will return back on silvers just like any other fish that looses them.. I’m not quite sure why someone would say that they wouldn’t.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
islandguy11 islandguy11 the scales will return back on silvers just like any other fish that looses them.. I’m not quite sure why someone would say that they wouldn’t.
I said it as my guy's not getting there (yet) at a few months on and doubled+ length. I'd edit my post but that button seems to have gone. I do like to hear that the scales will eventually return; he's good company regardless so I'm not in a rush :)

Last edited:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I didn't say that :) I was referring to OP's comment and surprised that his hadn't grown back yet -- I just didn't want to comment as to Silver's scale regrowth rate as I've never owned one, only Asians. Personally I'm really happy to see my GHXB's lost top scales returning to full color, but it's worse than watching paint on a wall dry lol, takes a good number of months (and it seems the higher up the scale is the longer it takes, at least IME).

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Well i'm back home. The fin is fully healed but still has to grow back to its original size. The spots where the scales are missing now has a dark spot. So should be fine. Just have to be patient about it

Yup i'm part of the "paint drying watcher's club"

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Scales likely won't return- mine haven't.

andyroo, post: 8160837, member: 89256"]
I said it as my guy's not getting there (yet) at a few months on and doubled+ length. I'd edit my post but that button seems to have gone. I do like to hear that the scales will eventually return; he's good company regardless so I'm not in a rush :)
[/QUOTE]

No worries just figured I’d chime in and clarify, I’ve owned silver, black and Australian. I’ve never had a fish not re grow scales. It’s normal for them to lose and re grow scales. Your fish will return to its full glory soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store