First Arowana

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Scales likely won't return- mine haven't.

andyroo, post: 8160837, member: 89256"]
I said it as my guy's not getting there (yet) at a few months on and doubled+ length. I'd edit my post but that button seems to have gone. I do like to hear that the scales will eventually return; he's good company regardless so I'm not in a rush :)
No worries just figured I’d chime in and clarify, I’ve owned silver, black and Australian. I’ve never had a fish not re grow scales. It’s normal for them to lose and re grow scales. Your fish will return to its full glory soon.
[/QUOTE]

When a Silver's scale regrows does it take extra time to actually kind of color up or get some shine like with Asians? I'm just wondering andyroo andyroo if your Aro's scales have basically regrown but not colored up enough to make them noticeable; just a thought, as it should only take weeks, not months for the base scale to regrow.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
No worries just figured I’d chime in and clarify, I’ve owned silver, black and Australian. I’ve never had a fish not re grow scales. It’s normal for them to lose and re grow scales. Your fish will return to its full glory soon.
When a Silver's scale regrows does it take extra time to actually kind of color up or get some shine like with Asians? I'm just wondering andyroo andyroo if your Aro's scales have basically regrown but not colored up enough to make them noticeable; just a thought, as it should only take weeks, not months for the base scale to regrow.
[/QUOTE]

You are correct. The new scales will be lighter in color for a little wile until they color up same as other Aros.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Just searched cattapa on Google and indeed it's everywhere here. We know it as Badam
Btw, have you ever measured your water for KH? (e.g. with Tetra Water test Strips?) If your KH (buffering capacity) is higher, than the cattapa leaves shouldn't really have any measurable impact on PH. Likewise if your KH is lower (e.g. below ~4.5) then the cattapa leaves might lower your PH.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
Btw, have you ever measured your water for KH? (e.g. with Tetra Water test Strips?) If your KH (buffering capacity) is higher, than the cattapa leaves shouldn't really have any measurable impact on PH. Likewise if your KH is lower (e.g. below ~4.5) then the cattapa leaves might lower your PH.

Not yet but the water test kit i ordered from api should be here in 4-5 days

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Not yet but the water test kit i ordered from api should be here in 4-5 days
If it's the API Master Kit then unfortunately it won't have tests for KH (or GH), you'll have to order separately or also order some of Tetra's 6 in 1 Test Strips which do measure for these.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
It's actually some 7 or 9 in 1 strip or something like that. Not api branded. Nust ordered it some time back with api products

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Interesting, I've never seen or heard of those before. So with this one "Alkalinity" should be the measurement for KH -- if it's on the higher side than no worries about PH swings when adding cattapa.

Reactions: flukeone
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store