First Arowana

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yeah that's similar to what I did and it seems quite strong enough. I was going to buy some super strong 3M "Dual Lock" velcro but I didn't think it was quite necessary (though when Aros get bigger I might change). With the velcro like we're using one side will get weaker and weaker over time, which I think wouldn't happen with the Dual Lock, it's much sturdier.

Velcro Strap on new BBXB tank cover 2.jpg

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
I was just thinking... Some nice looking hooks and a bungee might also work well and by more durable...

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Great ideas fellas...
Actually there are a couple of threads where the topic of securing lids is being discussed now, on one Dloks Dloks shared perhaps the best idea, child safety locks:

child safety locks.jpg

Wouldn't really work so well with my rounded PVC but for most other flat materials looks brilliant.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
So little update. Its been a week since the aro took flight. No sign of infection on the fin and there is a thin transparent membrane at the edge of the damaged fin, indicating regrowth. I can breathe now ?. Any idea how long it'll take to grow back to its former glory?

20191014_203220.jpg

20191015_201527.jpg

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Hi Flukeone,
I'm impressed that you're able to get all of these species in Mauritius - we didn't have a proper importer from maybe 2012 until last year. I didn't give up (cool stuff in the rivers & a few breeders) but I'm glad to have options again.

25C - do you have it in a room with AC? My silver aro is in my no-AC'd office next to my desk & the window, but up to last month it was on the verandah. Water temp is 28 right now, might eek up to 32 in the depths of summer & drop to 26 during a winter storm and my fish don't seem to care; just the loaches as they prefer it toasty. When the time comes, you can build your big tank in the garden and generally "get away with" all manner of stuff the northern people can't, like letting errant vine roots clean up your nitrates, slowly leaking canisters etc. You can build a pond for him as he outgrows the tank too, then decide to put glass elevator sides on that pond a year or two later. Aros seem to live 15+years, so there's plenty of time to keep it all moving.

Scales likely won't return- mine haven't. He didn't get out of the tank, but did himself a major disservice on the closed lid chasing tree-frogs at about 10cm. He's now maybe 25cm and eye-drop seems to have grown out again (IE gone good) but scales are missing still.

Food: bugs. Leave the light on & window open in a side bathroom. Get up with the sun & pluck the moths, crickets, frogs, house geckos etc from the wall. Don't tell your mum. Avoid roaches you find on the floor- be sure they weren't poisoned. You can bump the fishes colours with foods like crickets & roaches, including gut-loading the live bug with carrot to increase further.

Re healing: a few pinches of salt. Then go down to the seashore and find an almond tree (Terminalia catappa, i think). Take a few of the brown leaves from the tree or the ground, wash in soapy water (dust, salt, pesticides) , rinse completely and put in the tank. They might stain the water a bit, but they do a great job of conditioning the water, reducing bacteria & fungi & helping healing. Shark will nibble on them, as will barbs. You can either leave them until they disappear or take them out when the aro is all better.

I've got some friends/colleagues at UofM, if you ever feel like graduate school :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store