First Mono Sebae

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
20190203_093429.jpg This is Motumbo, my new Mono Sebae.

This is my first ever brackish water fish except for Mollies. Right now he is only 1.5" long and 2.5" tall, and he is in a 30 tall which I keep as a black water tank.

I intend to slowly convert this to salt and eventually put him in a 55 gallon saltwater tank. This will end up being my first ever saltwater tank after owning over 12 freshwaters.

Somewhere I read that I should start switching him over to a really brackish environment when he gets to 4", but I don't know if they meant 4" long or 4" tall.

I was only able to buy one of these but I expect to get some more from the same seller in the near future.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Monos are a great schooling fish. Great name too.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thank you, Kno4te.

I was hoping for advice and suggestions on this fish. The LFS said they were quite common, and I have seen them before; but it seems from what I read that nowadays they are somewhat more rare.

I chose the name because Motumbo is a west African fish. I really like him so far and expect I will soon buy more, when I can find them.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Only advice I would suggest is start adding salt. Get it to a brackish salinity. I’d imagine 4inch in height. Even if not these fish will tolerate it. Get a group of 5 or more. Need a big tank. Probably get 10in long in height. Do see them offered but for the salt side nowadays.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thanks. Our water pH is about 8.2 or same as seawater & I am hoping that adding calcium in the form of a wondershell will keep him happy for a while.

So far I have only added a bit of salt and RO-right, but this is a QT tank and I have other fish with limited salt tolerance in it now.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks. Our water pH is about 8.2 or same as seawater & I am hoping that adding calcium in the form of a wondershell will keep him happy for a while.

So far I have only added a bit of salt and RO-right, but this is a QT tank and I have other fish with limited salt tolerance in it now.
Don't need to add salt if you keep the water pristine, rather similar to silver dollars in care, set up a large saltwater tank for adults, these guys look good in schools and are great for adding movement

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The salt was mainly because it's a QT or hospital tank. Big water changes every 2 days. They also get a mild dose of paraguard or nox-ich with changes, unless the fish cant take copper.

There was some Kanaplex in that tank when I put him in, but that was 2 changes ago, so it's almost gone.

Anyhow Motumbo seems happy and eating like a pig, plus is getting along fine with the other QT fish. They all seem happy too.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The salt was mainly because it's a QT or hospital tank. Big water changes every 2 days. They also get a mild dose of paraguard or nox-ich with changes, unless the fish cant take copper.

There was some Kanaplex in that tank when I put him in, but that was 2 changes ago, so it's almost gone.

Anyhow Motumbo seems happy and eating like a pig, plus is getting along fine with the other QT fish. They all seem happy too.
What other quarantine fish do you got?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
OK everyone is out of QT. All healthy and eating like pigs.

Even though this tank is well cycled, and on a sump, plus large sponge, and reverse flow undergravel, it got water changes every 2~3 days, so all the meds are long gone.

The tetras and pleco are moved, and I now have 5 more smaller Monos.

My favorite fishseller told me he tosses them right from a fresh tank to a salt tank with no problems, so I just started taking out water and adding saltwater. I took it from 0 to 1.010 in three days, so I have probably killed 99% of my bacteria. ;-(

Anyhow I will continue to do massive filtration and aeration but need to find what bacteria to add.

Also, once the new bacteria take hold, I will move a few mollies and guppies into this tank. Mollies and guppies were my first fish, in 1975, but I've never had them in brackish.

My oscar will be graduating from a 55g to a 100g soon, and I will move the monos from the 30 to the 55 with brackish. As they get too large I will probably trade them back for smaller fish. or buy another 100g. ;-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store