First planted plans *gonna need major help*

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
So iv decided I want to do a aquascape on my 55 completely changing it, I really like the simple look of a carpet and dragon stone. My question is what plant is best for this? I need something that is basically beginner friendly since this will be my first live plants in a tank. Also I can't have co2 just not in my budget. And what about lighting? Would 2 Marineland led strips be okay? To much? Not enough? Im new to this so what substrate would be best?links to buy would be appreciated:)would I need to dose once a week and if so what to use and how much? stock.... I love my electric blue acara and would love a mated pair, I was also thinking a lot of cories and then cardinal tetras.

VUW2bl.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Normally carpet plants + beginner dont really go together just because most carpets require high light / ferts / Co2...

I've had a bit of luck with Hairgrass using Excel instead of Co2, but was still not the best growth, and didnt really send runners as fast as in my old high tech tank...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I should also have mentioned, just cause carpets arent beginner plants, doesnt mean you shouldnt have a go a it, if you are up for a bit of trial and error when things dont work out...

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
55g tanks are a bit of a challenge because they are tall with only 12" front to back. The lighting intensity needed to reach bottom can and will algae up the taller plants and decor. You can try it with excell or glutaral products for CO2. Not sure of the specs on the marineland LED strips, but there's lots of mail order options for plant LEDs.

Reactions: Angelphish

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
So iv decided I want to do a aquascape on my 55 completely changing it, I really like the simple look of a carpet and dragon stone. My question is what plant is best for this? I need something that is basically beginner friendly since this will be my first live plants in a tank. Also I can't have co2 just not in my budget. And what about lighting? Would 2 Marineland led strips be okay? To much? Not enough? Im new to this so what substrate would be best?links to buy would be appreciated:)would I need to dose once a week and if so what to use and how much? stock.... I love my electric blue acara and would love a mated pair, I was also thinking a lot of cories and then cardinal tetras.

View attachment 1228239
If you're going to set up an aquarium, especially a planted one, you can squeeze co2 into your budget. I was able to get a 5lb setup for about $100 including co2.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I believe Monte Carlo is one of the easier carpeting plants. Fat Homer Fat Homer and convict360 convict360 know more about it.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Yea didn't think this was gonna be easy lol but I still wanna try, what about substrate?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Yea didn't think this was gonna be easy lol but I still wanna try, what about substrate?
I use fluval stratum and my high demanding plants love it. My background plants grow noticeably by the day, and my baby tears and madagascar lace plant have grown considerably since I bought them. Both are considered difficult plants to grow.

Reactions: xDestro

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I use ADA Amazonia soil or another type of soil rumored to be from the same factory as ADA...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store