First Polypterus: need advice!

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
The issue isn't the open top. I didn't specify: I can put a lid on the second tank I mentioned. The issue is the size of the tank. I'm willing to upgrade to a bigger one eventually but my question is: roughly how long could I expect the tank I already have to be sufficiently large? Because if it'll only last me a month or two, I'll think about getting a bigger tank now. If it'll serve for half a year, then I'll use what I have for now.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
You can do the other tank as a ornate growout, like we mentioned before some ornate grows fast and some grow slow, its up to you to monitor if the ornate is a fast grower, if you willing to upgrade in the future then you can grow some ornate till they hit 12” then transfer them to a bigger tank.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I finally got a bichir! A 2.5 inch long delhezi. I've given him frozen bloodworms (that's what they fed him at the store) but he doesn't seem to have eaten any of them. Is that normal when fish are first introduced to a new tank? Any tips about how I could tempt him to eat?
Thanks in advance!

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Dont rely on bloodworms cause they dont have alot of nutrients that the bichirs need, try some fillet tilapia and once thats stable get the poly to eat sinking carnivor pellet, chop the tilapia in to bite size and feed during night time, some bichirs will eat when lights are on some are just noctural.

elbereth

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, I'll try tilapia then.
I also noticed he doesn't like the water current in the tank. But if I reduce water flow, how can I keep the water sufficiently filtered and aerated?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store