First sump Set up (230G System)

Austin Finley

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
So My Main Question is about overflows and returns this is my first sump and I want to avoid any mistakes if I can. My tank is not drilled and I will not be drilling it so I've been browsing hang on the back Overflow box the tank is around 200 Gallons and my sumps an old 55 holding 35-40 gallons. I'm currently looking at the Marine Depot OF-1200 rated for 1000 gph if anyone knows anything with more GPH at a similar price that be great. The pump I dont know what to get in terms of GPH an adjustable pump would be ideal however in terms of quality and prices I'm not sure which option to get since there is a lot. The stocking on the tank is 1 Silver Arowana(9 Inches), 1 spotted gar (7 inches), 2 fires eels (8-9in), 1
Polypterus lapradei (6 inches).

Thanks for any help and suggestions

IMG_0655.JPGIMG_0656.JPG

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Well i would definitely recommend a more powerful pump. If its only rated 1000 gph at 0 ft head then its probably only 500-600 gph at the 4-5 ft you will be running which will be urinating into the metaphorical breeze with that water volume.

Youre gonna want a pump that can outperform your drains. Shoot for something 2000-3000 gph. Ive heard great things about jebao dcp pumps. They are powerful, quiet, and offer fine adjustment for flow control. They are on the more affordable end of the spectrum for this type of pump as well.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
Youre gonna want a pump that can outperform your drains. Shoot for something 2000-3000 gph. Ive heard great things about jebao dcp pumps. They are powerful, quiet, and offer fine adjustment for flow control. They are on the more affordable end of the spectrum for this type of pump as well.
X2- do this. I have a dct-6500 jebao on my 240g and its not enough.

Austin Finley

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thanks For Both The Replies.I'm Glad I posted something I knew I'd lose some GPH on the pump but it does make more sense to out perform my drain. I'm picking up an overflow from one of my local fish stores this weekend , and the pump I was recommended at the store was only 1000 so I'll be ordering one online after some research. Thank you for the recommendations I'll start there

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I ran the jebao dcp 18000 full blast and it I had two

Reactions: Austin Finley

Austin Finley

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
So From what I've learned two pumps seems to be the best option and i can always lower the outputs on both if its too much. Thank you guys so much for the help hopefully everything goes flawlessly.

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store