First time, and I got some questions...

Cthulhubone

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2018
Excuse the length ><.
I just recently got into the hobby, and I started with basic stuff, a simple 10 gallon with some cory's . The goal was to get into aquascaping and just have life that helped maintain the tank... & then I saw my first bichir. Bought her, and immediately bought a 40 gallon set up in order to accommodate my new pretty. Then went back, and bought a 2nd one. So now I'm a proud mom of 2 and have a lot of questions about not what is good for my senegal bichirs... but what is best for'em.

1. My 40 gallon is in the process of being made a home, I'm going to be adding live plants soon and any recommendations would be appreciated. I've been spending a lot of my time viewing other keepers tanks on this forum and trying to get an idea. I have a pretty well established community of fish that I'm more then happy to sacrifice to my bichirs, but are there any small fish/snails/shrimp that would be a good recommendation to keep stocked and in the tank consistently for snacks? I had a ghost shrimp in my tank that died, and neither bichir was interested. I removed it after a couple hours and just assumed my bichir's knew something I didn't.

2. My biggest question comes down to feeding. I enjoy and would like to continue to feed them both fish. So far I've been taking baby guppies from a family members tank, killing'm and feeding with tongs. But I've noticed while perusing through this forum that a lot of people use pellets. I've even seen mentions about how its important to feed pellets early because its a little difficult to get them to eat pellets as they get older. I'm assuming I should do both? I've read on here about vitamin stuff that should be added to the fish in order to make the diet more balanced, live fish are only half as good as what they are fed and wondered if anyone had success/recommendations with that?
My corydora's, tho practically blind, tend to swarm any pellets put into the tank so I'm assuming floating pellets would be the only way to go. I'm assuming New Life Spectrum floating pellets would be the best? I've seen a lot of keepers use that brand specifically.

3. I was told at the time of purchase that it'll take my bichir's about 5 years to hit 14 inches & that a 50 gallon tank would be needed. I'm not so sure about that guesstimate... I figured the 38 gallon would keep'm easily for the next 2 years, at least. I've seen a lot of mentions about feeding correlating to growth so I'm assuming this answer won't be an exact science.

20180604_212346.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Excuse the length ><.
I just recently got into the hobby, and I started with basic stuff, a simple 10 gallon with some cory's . The goal was to get into aquascaping and just have life that helped maintain the tank... & then I saw my first bichir. Bought her, and immediately bought a 40 gallon set up in order to accommodate my new pretty. Then went back, and bought a 2nd one. So now I'm a proud mom of 2 and have a lot of questions about not what is good for my senegal bichirs... but what is best for'em.

1. My 40 gallon is in the process of being made a home, I'm going to be adding live plants soon and any recommendations would be appreciated. I've been spending a lot of my time viewing other keepers tanks on this forum and trying to get an idea. I have a pretty well established community of fish that I'm more then happy to sacrifice to my bichirs, but are there any small fish/snails/shrimp that would be a good recommendation to keep stocked and in the tank consistently for snacks? I had a ghost shrimp in my tank that died, and neither bichir was interested. I removed it after a couple hours and just assumed my bichir's knew something I didn't.

2. My biggest question comes down to feeding. I enjoy and would like to continue to feed them both fish. So far I've been taking baby guppies from a family members tank, killing'm and feeding with tongs. But I've noticed while perusing through this forum that a lot of people use pellets. I've even seen mentions about how its important to feed pellets early because its a little difficult to get them to eat pellets as they get older. I'm assuming I should do both? I've read on here about vitamin stuff that should be added to the fish in order to make the diet more balanced, live fish are only half as good as what they are fed and wondered if anyone had success/recommendations with that?
My corydora's, tho practically blind, tend to swarm any pellets put into the tank so I'm assuming floating pellets would be the only way to go. I'm assuming New Life Spectrum floating pellets would be the best? I've seen a lot of keepers use that brand specifically.

3. I was told at the time of purchase that it'll take my bichir's about 5 years to hit 14 inches & that a 50 gallon tank would be needed. I'm not so sure about that guesstimate... I figured the 38 gallon would keep'm easily for the next 2 years, at least. I've seen a lot of mentions about feeding correlating to growth so I'm assuming this answer won't be an exact science.

View attachment 1318308

Welcome aboard :)

Polypterus are personally one of my favorite species especially when I found out their ancestors have been around since the Jurassic era. The Senegal Bichir is one of the smaller of the upper Jaw group. Tbh you have time but if the aquarium is a 40 breeder that would be fine for them. Captive bred Senegal will not grow to a foot but wild caught possibly. Pellets are used by most members due to the nutritional value also thawed out peices of Tilapia is also in our feeding rotation. Btw you will be addicted by Polys lol. Do me a big favor go to the Ancient Fish Forum and start a thread there. You are going to be blown away by the poly gang.:)

Cthulhubone

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2018
This site kept coming up anytime I took to the internet for answers. I've very happy I found this and I think I'm going to enjoy my time here! :)! I was certainly excited the first time my larger bichir took the fish I offered her, and its a lot more interesting then what I'd been doing in the hobby before hand. I had read they might 'fast' after being transported home so I was happy and reassured to find they had an appetite.

I'll make my way there, thank you!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This site kept coming up anytime I took to the internet for answers. I've very happy I found this and I think I'm going to enjoy my time here! :)! I was certainly excited the first time my larger bichir took the fish I offered her, and its a lot more interesting then what I'd been doing in the hobby before hand. I had read they might 'fast' after being transported home so I was happy and reassured to find they had an appetite.

I'll make my way there, thank you!
Yes you are a member of the Poly gang:)

Reactions: Cthulhubone
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store