Fish prices ~ Australia vs the world

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
All roughly the same price here. Elephant nose are usually a little bit more like $40.
Gymnotus? Hoplarchus Psittacus? I would be surprised if these are reasonable in Australia, as it's difficult to even find them here.

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Some of their hardware are cheap but I don't really buy fish from them.... I experienced high death rate with them
That I agree, hardware and supplies are cheaper as they tag the same price as other LFS and offer a further discount at the counter. Fish wise I would usually take a longer look but I avoid their bulk price dither fish, not healthy and not cheap.

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Only way Australia can open up for the hobbyist is if it is involved in the aquarium trade. Practically every asian country is in it either in farming or trade that's why fish is cheap (of course with exception of WC fish).

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
That I agree, hardware and supplies are cheaper as they tag the same price as other LFS and offer a further discount at the counter. Fish wise I would usually take a longer look but I avoid their bulk price dither fish, not healthy and not cheap.
But I am happy that, that aquarium , opened in the east and now c328 also opening....

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
In the part of the country I'm from (Western Australia) it is even harder to get exotic fish.
I feel you mate, I'm in Tassie so I know exactly what you mean when you say "strict" import laws. I guess that's the trade we make for living in such a beautiful and unique country. :)

As for prices I've never seen any "monster" fish for sale down here a side from two big peacock bass (and I can't remember how much they were, nor do I know what kind of pbass they were) so I can't give an estimation on what monsters would cost down here, but I paid $25-$30ea for my synodontis nigriventris, and apparently they're cheap as chips overseas.
$30 for my short finned betta.
$45 for my silver saum @ 2-3"
$30-40 for a 2-3" silver dollar
$65 for an L397 plec @ 1-2" (prob more now if they were to ever come in again)

I can however tell y'all how much tanks down here cost... My ex and I spent a little over $1500 on a 400ltr (approx 100gal) tank, stand and hood. Unbranded, no warranty, no accessories. Just a glass box, wooden stand and cheap metal hood that doesn't even sit on the tank properly... That's what $1500 will get you down here.. Not freakin' much!

Reactions: Rodders02

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Baby silver arowana cost $15 to $20
Bichir about $10 to 30 between 4 to 6 inches

My country and your country exchange rate is almost 1 to 1

your fish may be expensive but I have just the thing to make you feel better

A new Honda civic cost 120k, only can use for 10 years. Every 10 years it will cost you about 50k to drive additional 10yrs

And I haven't touch on housing lol

So I won't mind exchanging cheaper car and housing prices for expensive fish lol
I agree!!! I live in Hong Kong and property prices here are worse than Singapore...

But car prices a little bit cheaper...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store