Jan 5, 2022
St.Cloud MN
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
So I just ordered some blood parrots online and they showed up with ich. I have them in my quarantine tank and I’m thinking of doing the heat and salt treatment for them. I have successfully used copper treatment in the past but I would like to try a different treatment method this time I worry about how hard the copper is on the fish. Anyway my question is how much salt do I add per gallon? the quarantine tank that they are in is a 29 gallon tank. Thanks for any information I really appreciate it! ?

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
at least 3ppt of salt, which is 1 tablespoon of FINE salt (like those for the salt shaker) per gallon. You can slowly increase the dosage over the course of 3 days. Day 1 dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon and add to the tank over the course of 8 hours. Day 2 add another 1 teaspoon per gallon. Day 3 add the final dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon (tank should have a total 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon by the end of day 3). Treat for 10-14 days after the last visible white spot. Between 77f -85F, the ich life cycle doesn't get any faster than 3 days. If you want to disrupt the reproductive process, set the heat 86F-89F. This comes with risks for a secondary bacterial infection.

killerknight_69

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2018
don't use chemicals for ich unless its REALLY bad. I have never had to use coppersafe or other variant. High temp + salt always works.
If adding salt to the tank as Rocksor said above isn't showing much improvement, you can do short-time salt dip/baths. 5 table spoon of salt per 1 gallon.Mix ina bucket, and throw your parrots in for 10-15 minutes. Don't exceed 15 min,

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
don't use chemicals for ich unless its REALLY bad. I have never had to use coppersafe or other variant. High temp + salt always works.
If adding salt to the tank as Rocksor said above isn't showing much improvement, you can do short-time salt dip/baths. 5 table spoon of salt per 1 gallon.Mix ina bucket, and throw your parrots in for 10-15 minutes. Don't exceed 15 min,
I have to think this would be useless in combatting the parasite, and would unnecessarily stress some fish. The white spots are parasites buried in the skin of the fish, where they are pretty much treatment-proof. All effective treatments are directed at the free-swimming theront form, so a 15 minute dip will do nothing.

The white spots will disappear after a few days, with or without treatment, as the parasite leaves the host to enter its reproductive stage. But the tank itself requires treatment to kill the next stage before it can find another host and cause another, much more severe round of spots a few days later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store