Fishing season for 2017

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Some Steelhead and Gizzard Shad on the fly this weekend to start out the 2017 season. 34 fish total for the weekend.

View attachment 1230712

View attachment 1230713
Great looking fish, Sean. Where did you get these guys and how did you get them active in this cold weather?
Thanks! I'm not a fan of the taste of Trout but maybe I just haven't had one smoked correctly. Salmon and Char are another story though :)
We hot-smoke them w/ mesquite or hickory or other tasty-flavored woods, chips can be used as well as season logs, preferably from fruit trees. Trout can be delicious when cooked or smoked correctly. I am personally a fan of baking them in aluminum foil packets or pan-fried

The Mother Confessor

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
UK
So jealous. There's some serious beasts up there! And some seriously beautiful places! Fishing in the snow? Now that's cool.

I can't wait to get back out fishing. Darn weather. I'm for sure a fair weather fisherlady. Roll on spring!

Reactions: divemaster99

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Great looking fish, Sean. Where did you get these guys and how did you get them active in this cold weather?

We hot-smoke them w/ mesquite or hickory or other tasty-flavored woods, chips can be used as well as season logs, preferably from fruit trees. Trout can be delicious when cooked or smoked correctly. I am personally a fan of baking them in aluminum foil packets or pan-fried
Hey, Frank, we got them on eastern Lake Erie tributaries fishing with leech and jig patterns primarily, caught a few on midges too. Most of the Creeks were running 32.5-33.0° and slushy or ice covered this weekend but one of the better ones we fished was about 35° and mainly ice free. Steelhead are actually pretty active this time of year, saw a few that looked like they were about ready to spawn and Bulls were pushing around hens and each other.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
So jealous. There's some serious beasts up there! And some seriously beautiful places! Fishing in the snow? Now that's cool.

I can't wait to get back out fishing. Darn weather. I'm for sure a fair weather fisherlady. Roll on spring!
I think a lot of us are dying for spring haha. I don't mind winter fishing terribly but having six skunk days around home so far this year, I'm ready for April Trout, Suckers, and Lake Char!

The Mother Confessor

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2017
UK
You are all making me so jealous! Fishing in the UK sucks compared to the US!

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
Been a real long time since I posted anything in the fishing section, but here are some catches from January.

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
Yeah, went on a collecting trip to Uruguay. Amazing trip around the whole country through Aqva Terra Eco Tours with Felipe Cantera.

Reactions: fishnatics

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
Reactions: fishnatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store