Nosi77

Feeder Fish
May 7, 2021
Hi guys, just a quick question. If the male flowerhorn eats the female eggs rather than fertilizing it, does it mean he's infertile or just not interested? Should I give it a few more tries?

Oh, and also, if the female eggs doesn't stick to surface, are the eggs duds? Only some eggs stuck to surface.

Thanks to those who will reply.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane
Cichlids will often eat eggs if they feel it isn’t safe. You can’t be sure he is infertile until at least a few attempts.
Not sure about the sticking.

Reactions: Nosi77 and Bbuckley

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane
Cichlids will often eat eggs if they feel it isn’t safe. You can’t be sure he is infertile until at least a few attempts.
Not sure about the sticking.
As for the male eating the eggs, that may end up becoming an issue if he makes it a habit. I'd give em a few more tries just to be sure tho.

As for the sticking situation well that's probably more of a genetic thing then anything else. Most likely won't interfere with the fertility of the eggs.

Nosi77

Feeder Fish
May 7, 2021
As for the male eating the eggs, that may end up becoming an issue if he makes it a habit. I'd give em a few more tries just to be sure tho.

As for the sticking situation well that's probably more of a genetic thing then anything else. Most likely won't interfere with the fertility of the eggs.
Unfortunately,, everytime the female fans the eggs, it would just fly all over the place. She would suck up the eggs and put it back on the plate then same thing again, lol!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Unfortunately,, everytime the female fans the eggs, it would just fly all over the place. She would suck up the eggs and put it back on the plate then same thing again, lol!
Yeah that could be any number of things causing that to happen. It could be as simple as a vitamin deficiency or could even be genetic. I'd atleast give em a few more tries to do it themselves but if that still doesn't work then I would remove the eggs and work with em myself.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
To address the eggs not sticking I would change whatever it is she is laying on. I have had to do this a few times in the past. Slate used to be my go to breeding surface, but then I came across females here and there that couldn’t get their eggs to stick to the slate. I took the slate out and put in large flat porous surfaced rocks. Then their eggs stuck perfectly. I have also noticed in recent years that clay pots are made to have a much more smooth glass like surface. These too are terrible and cause the eggs not to stick. If your male eats the eggs again then I would put a plexiglass divider in and place a flat rock between the two of them. That way the male can “help” clean his side of the rock and then when she finishes laying the eggs you can slide them over to him and he hopefully won’t eat them. After he swims over them dragging his belly on them 5-20 times you can slide them back to the females side.

Nosi77

Feeder Fish
May 7, 2021
To address the eggs not sticking I would change whatever it is she is laying on. I have had to do this a few times in the past. Slate used to be my go to breeding surface, but then I came across females here and there that couldn’t get their eggs to stick to the slate. I took the slate out and put in large flat porous surfaced rocks. Then their eggs stuck perfectly. I have also noticed in recent years that clay pots are made to have a much more smooth glass like surface. These too are terrible and cause the eggs not to stick. If your male eats the eggs again then I would put a plexiglass divider in and place a flat rock between the two of them. That way the male can “help” clean his side of the rock and then when she finishes laying the eggs you can slide them over to him and he hopefully won’t eat them. After he swims over them dragging his belly on them 5-20 times you can slide them back to the females side.
Thank you for the advise. I will replace her pot and try the suggested actions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store