Flowerhorn is very scared.

SK13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
I recently moved my 5inch flowerhorn to a bigger tank (already cycled and established). On the first day he was active and was playing in the bigger space.
However from second day, he became full scared, dark, amd is sitting at one corner. Its not greeting me when i go near the tank, rather its getting more scared and swimming very fast.
He has turned blackish

He is eating normally.

Can anybody suggest ways go reduce its fear? How can i bring him back to become active and aggressive again?
Thanks in advance.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
What is the size of the new tank? What was the size of the old tank?
What other fish are in the new tank? What are the size of the fish in the new tank?
Where is the other tank? Is there random loud or excessive traffic?
What is the decor in the tank?

Every fish is obviously unique (although instincts are very dominant), but hiding (other than as a hunter technique) is often due to perceptions of danger. Cover, quiet, low light, minimal traffic permit a sense of safety. Aggressive, larger fish along with unexpected loud noises and activity encourage a sense of danger.

You also have not said a thing about the tank it came from. If it was the only fish and if it felt reasonably secure, those perceptions may be gone now.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
+1 on everything DrStrangelove said.
You may also just have to wait. IME, When a fish first goes into a tank, it runs around checking it out, and then sulks until it feels comfortable.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

SK13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
Thanks for the reply.
The old tank was 29gallon and he was all alone in it. The new tank is 55 gallon. He is all alone in it. The decor in the new tank are gravels, and a plastic plant.
Yes, the new tank (alike the old tank) is in the walking passage, where traffic of walking family members is usually high. The old tank is also in the same place (kept beside the new tank).

I have covered the new tank with paper. So as to not freak it out when anybody walks around. Its been 2 days now, and he still blackish, resting in a corner, lost aggressiveness. I have added prescribed amount of salt and seachem stress guard, but got no results.

Hope it will get better in coming days.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Give him a cave or something to retreat to. Sounds like he has no place to feel secure. Also it could be messed up water params if the new tank isnt cycled.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
keep your light off for a few days and Ill bet he will perk up quickly then leave them on for a few hours a day then build up to 8 to 10 hours a day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store