Flowerhorn Newbie

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
Please don't go cheap on a heater. I had an Aquatop cook all the Carpintis I had been growing out for over a year. As stated above...you get what you pay for. Heart breaking learning experience on this end.
It's a 60 dollar heater that I got on sale for 31 dollars. It's not a "cheap heater" or a knock off I just got it for a steal. The heater I have now is a cheap one. That's why I upgraded. I would have to assume most people aren't spending upwards of 100 dollars on a heater for a medium sized tank. This new one has emergency shut offs for if water gets too low, has too little flow, or if water gets too hot. Also comes with a 5 year warranty. Two of my local shops run these and swear by them. Plus this has a cage that protects the heater. My flowerhorn likes to swim around the heater and bump it so this should help.

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
Please don't go cheap on a heater. I had an Aquatop cook all the Carpintis I had been growing out for over a year. As stated above...you get what you pay for. Heart breaking learning experience on this end.
Sorry to hear about you fish though. That's a shame.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
It's a 60 dollar heater that I got on sale for 31 dollars. It's not a "cheap heater" or a knock off I just got it for a steal. The heater I have now is a cheap one. That's why I upgraded. I would have to assume most people aren't spending upwards of 100 dollars on a heater for a medium sized tank. This new one has emergency shut offs for if water gets too low, has too little flow, or if water gets too hot. Also comes with a 5 year warranty. Two of my local shops run these and swear by them. Plus this has a cage that protects the heater. My flowerhorn likes to swim around the heater and bump it so this should help.
That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Just one of my mistakes I've learned from and passing along since there was some heater discussion going on. Luckily one of them got hurt being chased by a rabid pleco so I had him out of there so all was not lost.

Reactions: Ruturaj

ol78hunter

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Dakota
That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Just one of my mistakes I've learned from and passing along since there was some heater discussion going on. Luckily one of them got hurt being chased by a rabid pleco so I had him out of there so all was not lost.
Yeah I hear you. This hobby is expensive but its addicting and you get attached easily to your fish.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
What's considered as cheap heater? Eheim jager, aqueon pro?

For 75 gallon I am thinking to get nicer one or two.

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
What's considered as cheap heater? Eheim jager, aqueon pro?

For 75 gallon I am thinking to get nicer one or two.
In my case the Aquatop's are the economy brand at the lfs near me. Those for sure. I haven't heard anything about the Aqueon's but haven't heard anything bad about the Eheim's.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
In my case the Aquatop's are the economy brand at the lfs near me. Those for sure. I haven't heard anything about the Aqueon's but haven't heard anything bad about the Eheim's.
Ehim cost me me 20 dollars and so did aqueon pro.

I looked at the jager because I've heard good things but I wanted a digital screen. Also that jager is a huge heater size wise.
Yep, it's super long, had to tilt it to fit in 40B.

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
So sorry to hear that. Must have been awful I can't imagine. I don't want to imagine it honestly.

My old black rhom shattered an "indestructible" cheap heater when he was around 10". He loved loved loved smacking into it continuously. Luckily it shorted out before cooking him.

Congrats on your fry tho!

Yes, never ever go cheap on heaters guys.

Reactions: Ozzie73 and Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store