Fluval Evo Saltwater Startup

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sure. I have chalked this first 10 months up as a learning experience. I lost several corals over the summer months, probably 10 total. I was getting frustrated as to why. I think I have figured it out. I was testing the tank weekly and doing water changes when it started to climb, usually every 3 weeks or so. I have now started to do changes every Monday regardless of nitrate readings. I have also been directly feeding each coral reef roids using a syringe. It is amazing how well they shave all responded. The colors are all more vibrant, the Blasto is extremely puffy and they have all “opened” up more. There is a sympodium right up front that always looked good but now looks great. It has finally started to grow and is crusting onto the plug. I have not added anything new for several months and will not until I am sure these are all healthy.
fish wise I have the two clowns,the orange one has been in the tank almost a year and the black one 6 months. Still have the same firefish that was added same time as the original clown. I had a clown goby as well but he managed to jump out the little opening in lid and I found him dried up on floor one morning.

View attachment 1478017
It looks great! I agree the weekly (or every other week if I’m feeling lazy) maintenance makes a huge difference. If nothing else it gives you a chance to tidy things up so nothing goes wrong.
Did you ever get the media baskets? It’s much better than the stock filter.
One thing I’d suggest is building the rocks up higher in the back, it gives the tank the illusion of being bigger than it is.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have actually had multiple configurations for the rocks. I am using this one currently only trying to get the corals I do have as healthy as possible. They are easy to access and move. Once o get everything nailed down I was planning on rebuilding the rocks.

Reactions: Deadeye

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Few more close ups. I kind of wish this tank wasn’t in my office. My freshwater tanks at home get much more regular care. I find that often times at the end of the day I just want to head home and relax as opposed to stay and do water change. However I love looking at it during the work day.
few more close ups.

959FC4E6-55C4-4828-87A1-83337DB497A6.jpeg

EF53EA43-F5E8-459D-B48E-53F05D2D2EA6.jpeg

7894413F-874E-4B43-A7C9-880B470DAE62.jpeg

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Ok so the recent progression of my corals has prompted a question. This morning I came into my chalice looking like this. I have never had the tentacles extended this far and actually I never saw tentacles at all until two weeks ago. Reading up online it seems chalice will sting other corals but is this extension normal?

9BDB7D6C-F530-450D-B4E6-0A8F0B000D0E.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Completely normal. Those are its sweeper tentacles. Most lps and sps have them. At night or when hungry it will send them out to try to catch food. Best to keep it a good distance from other corals to avoid stinging, this goes for all corals with a powerful sting. Corals cannot sting one of their own kind though (torches can go with torches, but not frog and hammer). Many have short sweepers that aren’t powerful, chalices do not.

Reactions: The Morning

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
And I was just worried about my galaxea and it’s placement. Luckily there is nothing close to the chalice. As always, thanks for the knowledge.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
And I was just worried about my galaxea and it’s placement. Luckily there is nothing close to the chalice. As always, thanks for the knowledge.
Happy to help! I will mention that galaxea does have rather long sweepers and a powerful sting, so definitely keep that guy away from others.

Reactions: twentyleagues

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Corals are insane. Everyday something changes. These sweeper tentacles reach longer every day.

43B9113A-CD04-441A-9417-78F00F89C93E.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store