Fluval Evo Saltwater Startup

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Well I just trimmed some and I am still alive so yay for me!!!! I used tweezers to pull them away from rocks and then cut them with bone cutters. Seemed to work. Fish and other corals all seem to be ok.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Well I just trimmed some and I am still alive so yay for me!!!! I used tweezers to pull them away from rocks and then cut them with bone cutters. Seemed to work. Fish and other corals all seem to be ok.
Very few actually have enough palytoxin to do any damage. I just wouldn't stick them in any of your orifices or your fingers after messing with them.

I used a craft knife or a razor blade to frag mine. Then superglued it to plugs or small rocks. I had quite a few different high end colors they were a large part of the corals I sold. Palythoa grandis are some of the most known for causing issues from the toxins. Again even with those I had no issues.

Reactions: The Morning

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The ones in my tank that need the trimming are the captain jerks…one of the bad ones. I think I’ll leave them be for now.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I just watched a video of a guy “trimming” his palys. He is using tweezers and just ripping them out in clumps.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I just watched a video of a guy “trimming” his palys. He is using tweezers and just ripping them out in clumps.
If you want to keep them as frags then I'd suggest you do it more carefully. If not then rip away. Or you can make a kalkwasser paste and coat them or inject them with it or apstasiax.

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
The ones in my tank that need the trimming are the captain jerks…one of the bad ones. I think I’ll leave them be for now.
I didn't recognize the name on those, I had to look them up. I think I had those at first and they grew twice as fast as most of my other ones. I kalked mine. The pictures I saw looked much better then mine did in person. I'm pretty sure they started choking out my ppes or my candy apple reds.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I didn't recognize the name on those, I had to look them up. I think I had those at first and they grew twice as fast as most of my other ones. I kalked mine. The pictures I saw looked much better then mine did in person. I'm pretty sure they started choking out my ppes or my candy apple reds.
It seemed like a score at first when they came in on a trumpet - needless to say I lost the trumpet and they’ve even choked out a leather.
Depending on where I set the light they do look pretty nice, and are mostly stuck to their own area (that area being a 5th of my tank) so they can stay for now. Might as well have a coral there than bare rock.

Reactions: twentyleagues

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
New Year update. My mushroom decided to take a walk while I was away for a few day for holiday. Didn’t realize they could easily relocate themselves but seems pretty comfortable on the sand bed. Duncan has 5 or 6 new heads sprouting so assume he is healthy. Sympodium is a beast so I glued a frag rock next to it hoping it encrusts into there for a friend.

E167E76F-C3AB-4D5B-B36D-20CF54E1620E.jpeg

62578D15-8702-4A46-B5F2-4DADBA3429A0.jpeg

BEC5CE47-DB04-43B8-B890-E5705497E62D.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store