Force feeding or live feeding a starving cichlid?

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
61-70%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
My wife’s Flowerhorn (2 years old and 8” long) got ich about three weeks ago and while we cured her of that with a strong salt treatment (3 lbs per 100 gals per Duane’s suggestion from an old post) she has stopped eating altogether. She probably hasn’t eaten in about three weeks or more.

We have started to reduce the salt content of the tank with water changes. It is probably now at half strength of what it was and will do another change tonight or tomorrow (last one was two days ago).

I have thought of possibly trying to force feed her but have no experience doing it so would welcome advice.

She refuses all kind of food I put in the tank (various pellets, krill, raw fish).

I have also thought of possibly trying live fish from my tetra tank (gold tetras and black neons) which I have plenty of - possibly as a way to get her interested in eating but at am at a loss.

She swims around her solo 90 gallon tank and seems mostly fine, if kind of skinny. Zero interest in eating.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Travisjaso9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2022
Suck my
Have you tried starving for a few days my gt attacked his pellets after like 1 day he gave up on not eating

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Just curious. (and this is "not" a suggestion.
Along with the salt, did you raise temp?
I didn’t. The temp is normally around 79-80 degrees and during the hot summer here was raising on its own a degree or so above that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store