Freshwater Moray

Brandon0228

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2019
Hi everyone,
I keep a 100 gal tank of Peacocks/Haps and have been wanting to add an eel, not just any eel, I want a challenge, I want something exotic, I want something that stands out.
After much research in an attempt to find a freshwater eel that is not a tire track or a fire eel, I have come across a specific species of Moray eel that I am interested in. The Gymnothorax Polyuranodon.
Many on facebook will discourage any moray eel being kept in freshwater.. but I came across a published article that predominately describes these eel as fresh water. 81% in a study were found in fresh water, year around, with a handful found in brackish. To me, this tells me that they are predominantly freshwater, but can handle brackish and not the other way around like the G. Tile. I think this is a freshwater eel that a lot of people don't know about. Many confuse and associate this eel with the Gymnothorax tile, which is in fact, a brackish/marine, and a different species.
Couple of things. I know that I'm going to need to redo my tank a bit with PVC and caves.. I know that the more hiding spots, the more comfortable the eel will be.
I know that they can be difficult to get to eat in the beginning. I'm aware of all the hardships that come with this species of eel.
What I'm asking here, is if anyone knows where I can get one of these.
The only place I've been able to find one is on the Aqua-imports website (I'm not allowed to post a link). The eel is priced at 200$, which is fine. What makes me nervous is that this is the one option. There are G. Tiles everywhere, but I have not been able to find anywhere else that sells this particular species.
Does anyone have experience with these eel and have anything to add, or a possible supplier that I could buy from?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: RD. and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone,
I keep a 100 gal tank of Peacocks/Haps and have been wanting to add an eel, not just any eel, I want a challenge, I want something exotic, I want something that stands out.
After much research in an attempt to find a freshwater eel that is not a tire track or a fire eel, I have come across a specific species of Moray eel that I am interested in. The Gymnothorax Polyuranodon.
Many on facebook will discourage any moray eel being kept in freshwater.. but I came across a published article that predominately describes these eel as fresh water. 81% in a study were found in fresh water, year around, with a handful found in brackish. To me, this tells me that they are predominantly freshwater, but can handle brackish and not the other way around like the G. Tile. I think this is a freshwater eel that a lot of people don't know about. Many confuse and associate this eel with the Gymnothorax tile, which is in fact, a brackish/marine, and a different species.
Couple of things. I know that I'm going to need to redo my tank a bit with PVC and caves.. I know that the more hiding spots, the more comfortable the eel will be.
I know that they can be difficult to get to eat in the beginning. I'm aware of all the hardships that come with this species of eel.
What I'm asking here, is if anyone knows where I can get one of these.
The only place I've been able to find one is on the Aqua-imports website (I'm not allowed to post a link). The eel is priced at 200$, which is fine. What makes me nervous is that this is the one option. There are G. Tiles everywhere, but I have not been able to find anywhere else that sells this particular species.
Does anyone have experience with these eel and have anything to add, or a possible supplier that I could buy from?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/is-this-a-true-freshwater-moray.683950/page-2

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I currently own 3 myself...

Depending on the size of the eel you may have problems with the other fish in the tank as they are very shy critters that can be hard to get eating initially...

Then there is the tank size, while a 100G will probably last a good while, it has been said that these guys can reach over a meter in length as adults, so an upgrade maybe necessary at some stage...

You should also note these guys are the true Houdini's of the freshwater eels, even worse than spiny eels imho, so make sure your tank (no matter how small the opening) is sealed coz they most likely will find a way out if you’re not careful...

Brandon0228

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2019
Pardon my initial reply if you saw it. I hastily assumed it was you trying to tell me that they were brackish and not to get one. I just got a bit of time and read through the thread, thanks for that. This will help me properly identify what type of eel I'm getting, as I know many are misrepresented.
Below is the published article I referred to without the www. should anyone want to give that a read.

researchgate.net/publication/51460471_Is_the_elusive_Gymnothorax_polyuranodon_really_a_freshwater_moray

Last edited:
Reactions: RD.

Brandon0228

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2019
I currently own 3 myself...

Depending on the size of the eel you may have problems with the other fish in the tank as they are very shy critters that can be hard to get eating initially...

Then there is the tank size, while a 100G will probably last a good while, it has been said that these guys can reach over a meter in length as adults, so an upgrade maybe necessary at some stage...

You should also note these guys are the true Houdini's of the freshwater eels, even worse than spiny eels imho, so make sure your tank (no matter how small the opening) is sealed coz they most likely will find a way out if you’re not careful...
Oh I know. I lost a tire track eel that way, and have since sealed the tank. There will be no escaping. I want to give this a shot and will upgrade tank size down the road. as far as the eating goes, I plan to be patient. I will provide plenty of hides, which will hopefully result in the eel being more comfortable. I have tongs, and will also buy a feeding tube for him. I'm prepared, was just looking for different places to purchase one of these for the near future.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Oh I know. I lost a tire track eel that way, and have since sealed the tank. There will be no escaping. I want to give this a shot and will upgrade tank size down the road. as far as the eating goes, I plan to be patient. I will provide plenty of hides, which will hopefully result in the eel being more comfortable. I have tongs, and will also buy a feeding tube for him. I'm prepared, was just looking for different places to purchase one of these for the near future.
Try one of the vendors here Wes from Rare Fish, he sometimes gets G.Polyuranadon or at least has in the past...

Reactions: RD. and tlindsey

Brandon0228

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2019
Try one of the vendors here Wes from Rare Fish, he sometimes gets G.Polyuranadon or at least has in the past...

Sorry, I'm fairly new to forums. I should post post a thread here saying that I am looking for one and see if anyone there replies?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Sorry, I'm fairly new to forums. I should post post a thread here saying that I am looking for one and see if anyone there replies?
No worries, just go into one of the threads and click on his username, from the pop up press “Start Conversation” to PM him directly...

His username is Fugupuff, otherwise someone else might have an email contact for him???

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
The email is in his business policy. He responds the quickest through email, unless he is out of country collecting.

Brandon0228

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2019
The email is in his business policy. He responds the quickest through email, unless he is out of country collecting.

I had already sent him a message through MFK, but thank you for this. I went ahead and shot him an email as well.

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store