Freshwater Puffer Fish List

AquaScape

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Just a list I have put together of Freshwater Puffers including common and scientific names as well as max size. Planning on adding more basic information as well as temps., pH, location of origin, etc.
Hopefully its worth the read. If any one has any information I could use for this paper would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
Pufferfish FW List.jpg

AquaScape

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
I thought these were available for a moment. Dang
I'm sorry haha I do have a few of these available though, Pao leiurus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco(pretty sure but I can send picture if your more of a puffer guy than I am), Tetraodon mbu, and Pao palembangensis.

but I would like to try and get more of the rarer species in the future like duboisi, baileyi, and pustulatus

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Pustulatus also goes by the more common name Crossriver Puffer just as a FYI ;)

Reactions: AquaScape

AquaScape

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Pustulatus also goes by the more common name Crossriver Puffer just as a FYI ;)
Thought I put that on there.. :confused: That's for that hahah

Reactions: Fat Homer

jtanw

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Chicago/Boston
Just a list I have put together of Freshwater Puffers including common and scientific names as well as max size. Planning on adding more basic information as well as temps., pH, location of origin, etc.
Hopefully its worth the read. If any one has any information I could use for this paper would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
View attachment 1330436
I'm glad that somebody finally did this, good job! The only thing I'll say is that my Duboisi is closer to 4.5 or 5 inches, but I suppose it could just be abnormally large.

jtanw

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Chicago/Boston
I'm sorry haha I do have a few of these available though, Pao leiurus, Carinotetraodon irrubesco(pretty sure but I can send picture if your more of a puffer guy than I am), Tetraodon mbu, and Pao palembangensis.

but I would like to try and get more of the rarer species in the future like duboisi, baileyi, and pustulatus
Pustulatus is essentially impossible to find, and Duboisi is very rare and will cost between $500 and $1500, but Baileyi pop up on Aquabid fairly frequently for between $80 and $150.

AquaScape

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
I'm glad that somebody finally did this, good job! The only thing I'll say is that my Duboisi is closer to 4.5 or 5 inches, but I suppose it could just be abnormally large.
Thank you for the information! and your probably right. As per information, there is definitely some limited info on a bunch of these puffers, I just gathered everything I could for these puffers from, wiki, seriously fish, fish base, IUNC, Forums, ITIS, etc. haha a lot of cross referencing, internet dives, reading pages available from books online. wan to make another one with basic care information, just been a little busy with work and my recent trip to North Carolina but i'll get on it sooner than later. Working on a Spiny Eel list as well currently

Reactions: jtanw

jtanw

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Chicago/Boston
Thank you for the information! and your probably right. As per information, there is definitely some limited info on a bunch of these puffers, I just gathered everything I could for these puffers from, wiki, seriously fish, fish base, IUNC, Forums, ITIS, etc. haha a lot of cross referencing, internet dives, reading pages available from books online. wan to make another one with basic care information, just been a little busy with work and my recent trip to North Carolina but i'll get on it sooner than later. Working on a Spiny Eel list as well currently
That's awesome! After attempting research myself, I ran into the same issue. If you would like any assistance with information of the Duboisi, I'm sure that either AdamSafi AdamSafi or I would be happy to help. Btw I've seen your website and it's one of the best out there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store