Freshwater Reticulated Teacup Stingray Care, Eating, Medications.

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
Hello

I wanted to start a thread to see what information is out there on Stingrays. Everyone says do the research and to Read Richard Ross book on Stingrays. I am not a big fan of forum discussions because of misinformation spread on topics. I am an Audi Techician I read on forums so much misinformaition is not even funny. People will tell you what they have done to get something to work. I removed a bolt to get that to fit now because of the bolt removal the part falls out in six months. HAHA.
Such as the misinformation spread with ray keeping. They are difficult stay away hard to keep. If thats the case what about salt water which is above and beyond any freshwater tank. Anyway.
I bought two Reticulated stingrays in NY for 60 each. I got one male and one female. They were wild caught so I knew that they where going to have health issues. I was not worried I wanted Stingrays. They were covered in ick. They had internal parasites external fice lice. The female had her tail rotting off up to barb with the white cotton fungus. To top it off they were not feed and were wasting away. I still was not worried. I expected this from stress shipping and being just born in the wild.
My tank is a 125 gallon reef tank. (going to make a acrylic tank for adult rays) The tank has suger sand from petco. The pump is a 1800 gph pondmaster pump, for a filter I got a jebeo 1500 gallon rated pond filter wiith uv sterilizer. I have the pump in a 55 gallon sump. I also have a wavemaker timer setup with wavemakers to blow debris in the corner. The pondmaser pump has backwash feature for ease of cleaning. My tank is self cleaning. My water chemistry is spot on. I have 2 oscars, 2 needle fish gar, 2 spotted puffers one, jewel fish 2, fire mouths,,1 peacock bass 1 peacock bass 3 crayfish. The tank was setup and running great.
I went to gnc and bought 100% tea tree oil and west indian root oil, I bought the additive free 100% and some potasium permaganate (in form of water clarifer). I added one drop per gallon of oils and Recomended dose for water clarity on the potasium permaginate. I bought some marine salt and added small amount and turned up the heat to 86 degrees. I cured the stingrays in 3 days. The infection was gone and the wound sealed they started to move around the tank more. Ick was gone heat salt and uv all you need for ich.
What was left was to get the rays to start to eat. I tried to hand feed them all day long. I tried for 3 days everything Cut and chopped Fish, shrimp, Ghost shrip, Tubifex worms, Blood Worms, Earth worms, Night crawlers, Bass worms. They still would not eat. Finally I got them to eat what everyone says they will not and that was hand feed Tubifex worms. The left over worms would burry themselves in the sand and the rays love to dig them out. Now that they were hand feed. When ever they see me the stingrays move around to the front of the glass. They see my and and swim over. Since they are familer with my hand and food I was able to just give them what ever I wanted to feed them. Blood worms Fish, shrimp, Glass shrimp, Ghost shrimp, Earthworms. I dont like earthwomrs because of the dirt and the cleaning invovled. I like to feed my rays 3 times a day My rays even eat shrimp pellets for the same reason they see my hand and come swiming over. They make huge holes in the sand looking for the pellets as they break appart. Its been a month an my rays are growing and are at 4inches in disc. Colors are amazing on male Female is a morph and is not as colorfull.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
My thoughts as well.

Check out the stingray section, that is where freshwater rays are discussed . There is a great sticky on retic info.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Welcome to the forum. I'm going to move this to the correct section (Freshwater stingrays) instead of the Saltwater section.

Just a thought... a first post on a forum using the phrase:
I am not a big fan of forum discussions
might not be the best way to start off.

Elsamobranchs don't actually get Ichtyopthirius. How did you diagnose internal parasites?

Stick around and read. Some of the leading FW ray keepers in the world post here. There is plenty of info out there if you look.
Three days may have wiped out what you can see, but any bacterial issues and parasite issues will need to be wiped out completely by breaking the life cycle - usually 30-40 days depending on what you are trying to kill. Usually what people see is the start, and assume they have cured the rays. Raising the temp speeds up the life cycle to kill the problems faster. The salt doesn't actually kill anything, it aides in the rays immune system fighting off outside factors.

Stick around. This section has some of the top FW ray keepers in the world. You'll learn a lot.

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
Yea I am new thanks for moving. When I say forum I ment the aspect of misinformation not comaradory. Thank You

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
Thanks for the repy. HAHA Thats what I mean on misinformation. What I thought was Ich must of been a open sore and more infection. LOL I did more of an assumption than a diagnosis I saw external fish lice clear as day on them. They looked ill and would not eat I as well as being wild caught so I assumed they had it and treated for it. I am glad I posted. Thank You

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
IMG_0125.JPGIMG_0116.JPGIMG_0124.JPGIMG_0127.JPGIMG_0137.JPGIMG_0130.JPG My rays love the sand. I use the salt as prevention and basic cure all. It will work as part of a whole in the mix of things. Salt and heat are the best meds for my stingrays.

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

Stuntsalv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2013
USa
Thanks but I have three in there They do not nip at them. My rays Wipe them with the disc LOL its fun to watch. I am sure they will get eaten thanks for the intrest

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store